• "These doors do not recycle"

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by parovozis

I noticed on Thursday (Dec 15) that the "These doors do not recycle" signs in the Red Line trains had been replaced with new signs: "These doors do not reopen automatically." This makes much more sense to me :wink:

by mattster

These stickers have been replaced for quite some time.. at least on some of the trains. I recall seeing them on the doors back in September--I remember because a woman stuck her arm into the door and they closed on her wrist without reopening. A big businessman came over, wrenched them open, yelled at the woman while pointing to the sticker.

by CS

mattster wrote:These stickers have been replaced for quite some time.. at least on some of the trains. I recall seeing them on the doors back in September--I remember because a woman stuck her arm into the door and they closed on her wrist without reopening. A big businessman came over, wrenched them open, yelled at the woman while pointing to the sticker.
I'm really glad they did. The T can not really expect people to know what "These Doors Do Not Recycle" mean...

by ckb

If I remember correctly, this change came about in part because of commentary on BadTransit and in Mac Daniel's Starts and Stops column in the Boston Globe.

If I further remember correctly, the MBTA pledged that they were nearly done with the process of retrofitting the doors on the 1500/1600's and that these signs would no longer be neccessary. Indeed, I have seen far fewer of these cars in recent months ... but why isn't this project done yet?

by CSX Conductor

CS wrote:The T can not really expect people to know what "These Doors Do Not Recycle" mean...
Yes, especially in Cambridge where all the super-sensitive environmentalists live because to them recycling is a way of life. :P

by F-line to Dudley via Park

CS wrote:I'm really glad they did. The T can not really expect people to know what "These Doors Do Not Recycle" mean...

I'll miss the often humorous graffiti they inspired. :wink: