• Viewliner vs. Superlinerr

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by hsr_fan

Yellowstonetim wrote:Man! EastCleveland, You make me scared to get on the train next month it sounds so bad!! I thought Viewliners were supposed to be "better"!
I've taken two round trips between New York and Atlanta aboard Viewliners, and I guess I got lucky, because I had no major complaints. In each case, though, there were broken light controls in the compartment, but there are so many redundant controls, it didn't matter. But yeah, they definitely didn't follow the KISS principle when designing those things.

The curtains do allow some light in, but I didn't find it to be too bad.

The one video service I would pay extra for is video from cameras mounted on the front locomotive and the last car. THAT would be worth watching!
That would be cool! Australia's narrow gauge high speed tilt train has that!

http://www.railpage.org.au/pix/electric ... 5-4-99.jpg

by updrumcorpsguy

I have my first experience with Viewliners in July: 3 rivers from Chicago to New York, and the Lake Shore Limited back. I'm eager to see what these cars are like - and I'll be sure to bring my UAL eyeshades. ;-)

Regarding in-room A/V: Apart from maybe a few channels of audio, I wouldn't touch it if I were Amtrak. Technology changes too fast for a company with limited funds to keep up with it, and the emerging technologies generally can't stand the vibration inherent in rail travel anyway. As has been pointed out, most people who need that sort of thing tend to bring their own anyway. Better to provide additional and more conveniently placed electrical outlets in the rooms and coaches.

What I would like to see is movies moved from the lounge to the coaches, like they do on the Cascades. Leave the lounge for the people who still know how to socialize. And play some background music in both the lounge and diner.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Hear hear, Mr. Drumcorps!!

I think there is quite enough to do on board without the need of "pacifiers" such as movies. I honestly don't know and could care less whether the in-room entertainment worked aboard any Viewliner I've been aboard; the monitor is a very convenient place to "hang my hat".

As I have noted, I can recall enough occasions where movietime in the Lounge has broken up stimulating conversation with fellow passengers - and where we all were PURCHASING high profit alcoholic beverages.

If you must offer those pacifiers, why not convert the now-surplus smoking areas of the #31500 coaches. Just think, Amtrak, you could even charge admission.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Fri May 14, 2004 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Yellowstonetim

:)

Mr Norman, I think you've hit on something there! Convert the smoking area into a video area. During the day satelite TV could be piped in, or travelogue's and other videos about the area travelled through. Maybe choices could be given.

Then, in the evenings, first run movies could be played for a charge. This could be a way to generate revenue. While there is plenty else to do on a train, 3 days on the CZ does allow for two hours or so of movie watching. It would also have a "coolness" factor to have watched a first run movie in an Amtrak theater. But there is the rub. Amtrak would have to make the experience at a certain level of quality. Also, I doubt the movie companies would lease the films at a reasonable amount for such a small theater with a limited audience.

Would be nice though.

by Rhinecliff

I have come full circle on the onboard movie debate. When the movies were first offerred in the lounge cars, I thought it was a nice idea. I have enjoyed several movies there myself. Over time, however, I have come to see the other side of the story. They certainly are a distraction from what can otherwise be a wonderful lounge environment.

by hsr_fan

Rhinecliff wrote:I have come full circle on the onboard movie debate. When the movies were first offerred in the lounge cars, I thought it was a nice idea. I have enjoyed several movies there myself. Over time, however, I have come to see the other side of the story. They certainly are a distraction from what can otherwise be a wonderful lounge environment.
All the more reason the let people watch movies in the privacy of their own sleeping compartment!

by EastCleveland

Yellowstonetim wrote:Man! EastCleveland, You make me scared to get on the train next month it sounds so bad!! I thought Viewliners were supposed to be "better"!

Who knows? You might love them. The Viewliner is the type of sleeper I travel in most often, but I find it strictly mediocre.

Compared to Superliners, Amfleets, and even Horizons, the cars strike me as cheaply made, flimsily constructed, and poorly designed -- probably thanks to the same team of Einsteins that created the nearly useless kitchen for the ill-fated Viewliner diner.

Then again, I'm not impressed by Amtrak's Talgo cars either. For pretty much the same reasons.

Maybe I'm just allergic to cheap plastic. But I like to feel I'm riding in a railroad car, rather than an overgrown toy.

by Rhinecliff

What made the kitchens in the prototype viewliner diner nearly useless?

by hsr_fan

Well, I will say this for the Viewliners. Based on my experience, they ride more smoothly than Amfleets, Horizons, Heritage cars, and just about anything else on American rails, except maybe the Acela Express. In fact, I think they might even have a smoother ride than the Acela!

by Chatter163

I found most of the complaints leveled against the VL to be either subjective or groundless, in my experience. I prefer them.

I have never experienced the "light up feature" at night. The room has always seemed as dark as any other. What I always use in any sleeper, VL or SL, is clips to help keep curtains completely closed. I have not noticed VL curtains to be any different from the SL. I prefer the VL door window shades, though I realize that these tend to jam up over time. Neither have I noticed the daytime glare to be any more or less, or the level of AC/heat control to be different.

Of course the toilet in a standard VL compartment is tight. But I would MUCH rather have this than share a common latrine. I can take my time and not worry about who might be waiting for me to come out, the pungent fragrance left behind, the cleanliness of the person who came out just before me, and the list goes on.

Only once have I ever seen luggage in a shower compartment. All one needs to do is either move it or ask the attendant. I cannot see not wanting a VL standard on this basis. And it was cute to read that the SL bathrooms are allegedly always equipped with an abundance of fresh towels, implying that the VL shower is not. This, naturally, depends on the efficiency of the attendant and is unrelated to the equipment.

Squeaks and rolls seem to be to be the same to me on both types of cars, with more sway on the upper level SL. The four public toilets "benefit" mentioned for the SL was a little disingenous, as there are private toilets for each VL standard, so the purported benefit of the former is unclear.

Some would consider stairs a disadvantage, rather than the opposite. Ditto for the larger size of the car, for that matter.

Some of the SL I cars still have the rust-colored, 1970's era decor in the compartments.

It obviously is a matter of opinion and that is fine. I simply cannot see expressing subjective observations as though they were hard facts.
  by Greg Moore

In my order of preference, I'd probably take:
Superliner Deluxe>Viewliner Deluxe>Viewliner Standard>Superliner Standard>Coach.

And those last two I might switch.

My experience in the Superliner standard was I felt far more crowded than in a Viewliner.

by rrrick

I used both Viewliner and Superliner standard sleepers a week ago. I liked the Viewliner best because of the extra standing and overhead storage space,private toilet and a working audio system.The ride had less sway ,also.I had to tape the curtains together in both sleepers.Thankfully,I had brought tape as suggested by forum posters.
  by Yellowstonetim

What kind of tape did you take? Some tapes would be too sticky and leave residue, some wouldn't stick enough I imagine. Just curious. I am leaving Harrisburg, PA for Sac-of-tomatoes, CA in two weeks and will take some clips, small bungie cords and an appropriate kind of tape.

Thanks.
  by ChrisJ

Duct tape works just fine on the curtains and just about anything else. I carry it with me all the time.
  by rrrick

Yellowstonetim,
I was out of duct tape but had some 2" masking tape which surprisingly held the curtains to the frame edges .Most of the original "Velcro"patches were missing in the 4 sleepers I used.