• Construction on "B" branch

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Otto Vondrak

Why didn't anyone tell me the "B" was shutdown from Packard to Boston College? Good thing I was driving and not riding today! How long is this shutdown planned for?

-otto-
  by Diverging Route

Otto Vondrak wrote:Why didn't anyone tell me the "B" was shutdown from Packard to Boston College? Good thing I was driving and not riding today! How long is this shutdown planned for?

-otto-

It's been on the MBTA Web site diversions page since at least Friday, if not before.

by cden4

They've had substitute bus service all weekend. The buses have been VERY full, in general.

Does anyone know what they were doing that they needed to close that portion of the line? I saw some work trains out by Harvard Ave tonight. Are they doing track rehab or something?

by Otto Vondrak

I saw crews out working on tracks, replacing switch components and more. They were out towards Summit.

I photographed a full Green Line shuttle bus unloading and transferring passengers to the train at BU. Were they just turning cars at Boston University... is there a crossover somewhere I didnt see?

-otto-

by AznSumtinSumtin

According to the track map at world.nycsubway.org, there is a crossover a little beyond Babcock Street. There is also a third track at BU East that is between both and connected inbound and outbound tracks.

by Otto Vondrak

They were turning the cars at BU East, right? I have shots of people getting off the shuttle bus and onto the LRV's, I want to make sure they are labeled properly. I dont know by B branch very well.

-otto-

by aline1969

There is a crossover just before Shaw's Packard corner.

No one has to tell you anything...if your so smart check the darn MBTA site yourself.

by AznSumtinSumtin

Woah, cool it there, aline. Otto is the admin/webmaster. He can ban you when ever he darn pleases. So be smart and respect the admin/webmaster.
crossover a little beyond Babcock Street
A little beyond Babcock Street is Packards Corner. According to the track map at nycsubway.org, the crossover is between Packards Corner and Babcock Street. Thats the same as saming a little beyond Babcock Street(well, almost the same).

It is easy to get stops on the B line mixed up. How many mass transit systems have trolley stops about 50-100 feet away from each other? Since the construction took place between Packard and BC, it is safe to assume the last stop was Babcock Street or Packards Corner. BU East is a good few miles away from Packards Corner, so it wouldn't be good to turn trolleys around there.

by Otto Vondrak

Yo aline- what's your problem? I'm just joking around- I had expected to go into Boston last Sunday for a day of riding the "B" branch, and was surprised to find construction... no harm, no foul, I wasn't planning this trip for months or anything. And no one's getting banned, so let's just get back to our regularly scheduled program.

-otto-