• Sleeper service on the LSL out of Boston

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Railjunkie

If everything goes as planned sleeper service from Boston to Chicago on the LSL will be restored this weekend. There will be no more stub train service between Boston and Albany.
  by Gilbert B Norman

I await a report of an observation that this actually has come to pass.

by Railjunkie

Mr Norman

Talked to a few in bosses in Boston, and the conductors I work with and they said it is a go Sat or Sun we just brought 2 sleepers in from Albany this past week. You can by tickets online for through service to Chicago.

by Railjunkie

Back from vacation goto work and what do I see, a viewliner on the B&A both 448 and 449. I guess the rumor was true.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Great to learn from first hand observations.

by FatNoah

It sounds like it's already been verified, but I'll be on the LSL tomorrow, so I'll double verify it. :wink:

by FatNoah

Speaking of the LSL out of Boston. I'll be travelling to Rochester, NY and back. Are there any sights I should look out for on the way? Is there a best side to sit on?

by CSX Conductor

engineer's side possibly........ quick views of: Beacon Park yard, Framingham's North Yard and Nevins yard, the new auto terminal being built by CSX in East Brookfield, West Springfield yard will be on both sides of train, at Chester, Ma (MP 126) the Chester Rail museum is on engineer's side heading west.........then around 128.5 / 129 you can see the old B&A bridges on the north side of the current line. .....at MP 145 the old Dalton Depot (now a local pub) and the new pittsfield transportation building (Amtrak and bus terminal) will be on north side. also while passing through Pittsfield you might see the Housatonic Railroad's NX-12 working the 2nd street yard by the old GE plant.

by CSX Conductor

atNoah, sorry about the late post, didn't realize that you asked that question on Wednesday for trip earlier today.

oh well

by FatNoah

Thanks for the info...even though I got it today. I did end up on the engineer's side, so I got to check out the sights. My wife was kind enough to let me have the window. :)

Your post answered one of the questions I had. I was wondering about those bridges.

by CSX Conductor

although by siting on the engineer's side heading west, you were on the wrong side of thr train to see what's left of the old Chester roundhouse

by FatNoah

That's OK, I was on the engineer's side going eastbound. Is that the small boarded-up brick roundhouse with a decaying coal loading thingy nearby? (Sorry I don't know the term).
  by Gilbert B Norman

The term came about, Mr. Noah, as a means to identify the side of the train in question, so that regardless of direction in which either speaker or listener is facing, will be identified.

It is old as railroading itself and used by "rails" (employees) and "railfans" (hobbyists) alike.

by FatNoah

Whoops! I think there was a little misunderstanding. I understood Engineer's side, it's the coal thingy that I didn't know the word for.

by CSX Conductor

Coal tower, and yes, that is the reminense of the Chester Roundhouse.

If you looked at the glass toward the top of the round-house, you can see a few pieces have been broken. perhaps by "Urban Explorers"

I'll admit, I have always wanted to try to see what it looks like inside, since we always stop right there if we know we are being held for a west-bound to come through CP123 off the single iron. (mainly so that cab signal doesn't drop to Restricting, but also because small store as well as a pizza shop within short walking distance.