• my new book about the Northeast Corridor

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by davelp82

Hi Everyone,

I wrote a book about the Northeast Corridor: both the rail line and the region it built. My book begins before the invention of railroads and ends New Year’s Morning 2021 in Moynihan Train Hall. I wrote this for everyone: fans, historians, professionals, and most of all riders who don’t know the story behind their commutes. You can learn more from the publisher website (https://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/bo ... 86389.html), including kind words from author Les Standiford and Amtrak archivist Richard Slattery. If you’d like to buy a copy, use the code UCPNEW for 30% off at checkout.

I also want to say thanks. I've been reading this message board (including its pre-2004 form) since I was in high school in the 90s, and have never gone more than a few days without checking in. I've learned an incredible amount from you all. I included a shout-out to the group in my acknowledgements but can’t begin express my gratitude.

Sending all warm wishes from Buffalo,
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by umtrr-author

Congratulations! Bring on the book tour!

Seriously, you might consider attending a few train shows in the area to promote the book. The town in which I live has an annual "local authors day" with no charge to authors. There's probably something like that out Buffalo way also.

I have a small accumulation of autographed books-- the prizes being a set of three from Jean ("You'll shoot your eye out!") Shepherd and three by Alan Alda. It would be great to add yours to my shelf!
  by R36 Combine Coach

The New York Transit Museum might be interested in featuring your book in store (at Grand Central and online) and might even host a lecture or book talk on the topic.
  by davelp82

thanks, all for your kinds words!! For those in the Buffalo/WNY area, I'll be doing a launch at Fitz Books on May 9. I'll also be doing a bunch of readings in NYC, Wilmington, and on zoom. I don't want to clog the boards with more self-promotion so if you're interested in learning more (or want to schedule me for a talk!) feel free to hit me up on my UB email, which is here: https://www.buffalo.edu/cas/english/fac ... david.html

all best, Dave
  by umtrr-author

Dave did not compensate me in any way to provide this information... :wink:

Fitz Books
433 Ellicott St Buffalo, NY 14203

https://www.fitzbooks.net/

Also, apparently they have waffles. :-D

They close at 6PM on weekdays (which includes May 9) so coming over from Rochester after work might be a stretch.
  by Gilbert B Norman

About as far as I hold comfortable stretching the Fair Use provisions:
But these are trifles in a chronicle filled with reliably fascinating facts. In the 1930s, the Pennsylvania Railroad hired the French-born designer Raymond Loewy to spruce up its electric locomotives by giving them a modern, sleek design. The result was the GG1 engine, which became, in Mr. Alff’s words, “an instant art deco icon: lithe, sensuous, perfected.” It would launch Loewy’s career, and he would go on to design everything from Studebakers to Lucky Strike packaging to Air Force One.

And in the early 1920s, while riding the New York–New Haven and Hartford, George Gershwin (as he himself put it) experienced “its steely rhythms, its rattle-ty bang” and “suddenly heard—and even saw on paper—the complete construction of Rhapsody [in Blue] from beginning to end.” Who knew?