• Limited security on Amtrak trains; lawmakers want more

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by electricron

ChesterValley wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:25 am
electricron wrote:When was the last time a terrorist group hijacked an intercity Amtrak passenger train and threatened to kill everyone?
Apparently 2018 https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news/wh ... y-21448411
An individual messing around with the controls that should have been locked so that he could not reach them. although he had a gun in his waist, he never pulled it out and pointed it at anyone. Some terrorist group????
Solution, a simple lock.
  by STrRedWolf

electricron wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:51 pm
ChesterValley wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:25 am
electricron wrote:When was the last time a terrorist group hijacked an intercity Amtrak passenger train and threatened to kill everyone?
Apparently 2018 https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news/wh ... y-21448411
An individual messing around with the controls that should have been locked so that he could not reach them. although he had a gun in his waist, he never pulled it out and pointed it at anyone. Some terrorist group????
Solution, a simple lock.
Well, you heard of the phrase "An army of one."

But yes, the controls should of been under lock and key. Were they?

(FYI the guy pleaded guilty. He got 14 years, another 5 of probation, and had to pay about $10K in restitution)
  by Arborwayfan

I don't know of anyplace within fifty or sixty miles of my home where I'd have to go through security except the courthouse, city council meetings, and school board meetings (because now those are a target of violent people). Of course, I hate football and the louder kind of concert, so maybe I'm missing some. But I go about my life without being screened much, and I don't see a train as a logical place to set up metal detectors and baggage screening. If it's hypocritical to think that it's worth paying more to reduce pollution, but not worth paying more to slow down trains to screen for weapons on intercity passenger trains that are probably not any more prone to crime than the streets outside them or the country at large, I'll be hypocritical, thank you.