• FRA Enhanced Long Distance Network Map

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by STrRedWolf

So the FRA is looking at new routes for Amtrak to take up, and thus concentrate on improving the tracks on. They recently did their second meeting of four over possible routes.

https://fralongdistancerailstudy.org/meeting-materials/ for the meeting presentations but the overview presentation is interesting, as it also maps out how far demand is for certain routes.

For instance, Chicago to Miami is heavy, along with Atlanta to Miami. so, for example, a possible route being:
  • Chicago
  • Indianapolis
  • Louisville, KY
  • Nashville, TN
  • Chattanouga, TN
  • Atlanta
  • Jacksonville
  • Miami
I also see some possible state-run services, like Seattle/Aubrun to Yakima and Kennewick.
  by Gilbert B Norman

So, somebody wants to bring back the Dixie Flagler which happened to be the first of the three Chicago-Florida "streamlimed" trains (City of Miami and South Wind the others) to get the axe.
  by John_Perkowski

As always, no Bucks, no Buck Rodgers.

As always, 218+51+1. Lest we forget, the House Freedom Caucus is pefectly willing to stop a continuing resolution to keep the government open after Sept 30.

Buttigieg and Company are doing the legwork, but does the President, and one of the parties in Congress, want to spend the political capital to make this happen?

On one of the slides, I noted the traffic level (and lack of service) into Las Vegas. Until Amtrak wraps its head around destinations, and gets the point that “One a Day” is a vitamin brand, not a viable transport system, all this is dreaming.

Cue Ella
  by markhb

I am perturbed that the only potential project they talk about in the Northeast presentation is a connection from Pittsburgh to Columbus; it makes it into the Northeast because of the tiny bit in western PA. Even the "rural connectivity" portion just talks about that segment.
  by urr304

Noted Pittsburgh-Columbus without going towards Indianapolis and St.Louis. I think there are missing pieces on the Pittsburgh-Columbus route let alone further west. That would mean big$$ to piece the PRR's Panhandle back together.

Columbus-Detroit would be the C&O/Hocking Valley of the Sportsman route, can it go south to meet the C&O [Cardinal Route]? How about Detroit-Cincinnati [I-75]?

See they are looking at resurrecting the Twin Star Rocket with continuing service to Duluth.

Just how much of this even feasible 52 years after Amtrak started taking many of these routes out that were still around then? Many of us here on this board could have drawn up these maps from our archived historical material for a lot less money.

The big trouble is how much would it cost to recondition many of these routes to at least the old 79mph level; forget about 110. I can see them only being able to approach a quarter of proposals if they even had the initial funding.

I regret the skepticism, but I have been around too long, pehaps not as long as some of you folks, but long enough.
  by ExCon90

I think the only route Columbus-Pittsburgh still existing is ex-PRR-Crestline-ex-NYC. Never beat driving time that way. I think the FRA is the same agency whose spokesman once said in response to a question that the (then) Secretary always flew to New York for meetings because he "didn't have time to spend seven hours on a train."
  by GWoodle

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:53 pm So, somebody wants to bring back the Dixie Flagler which happened to be the first of the three Chicago-Florida "streamlimed" trains (City of Miami and South Wind the others) to get the axe.
Sorry if you have named trains mixed up. Dixies traveled on C&EI rails Chicago to Evansville & Nashville. On PRR rails to Indy & Louisville you had the South Wind renamed Floridian. Floridian paired with Auto Train for a time. On PRR rails a third train went Chicago to Cincinnati then south to Atlanta & west coast (Tampa) of Florida.

At some point requires new track Chicago to Indy even if you want to restore Ky Cardinal.

In the long run they can study all they want but with no money won't be a new train anywhere soon.
  by Jeff Smith

This is separate from ConnectUS; the map shows some interesting routes not part of that plan, and Amtrak even notes that would need additional funding:

RailFan

FRA’s Long-Distance Study Produces Map of Expanded Amtrak Services
The map shows the current long-distance network overlaid with potential new routes. Some of those routes are ones that Amtrak had early on but later lost, like the North Coast Hiawatha (the subject of a grassroots effort in Montana to revive) and the Pioneer. But some routes have never had service in the Amtrak era, such as between Billings and Denver, a route that was last served in the 1960s by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy’s Shoshone.

Other notable city pairs that could be served by an expanded long-distance network include Flagstaff and Tucson, Ariz., Salt Lake City and Las Vegas, and Atlanta and Savannah, Ga.
  by electricron

Conceptual segments for future route development consideration.
What does that mean to you? The FRA, not Amtrak, released this map. It is entirely political. It does not promise to plan or build anything. It does not answer how to fund anything.
I believe it is just a ploy to get Congress to fund more feasibility studies! It hopes many states will join in providing funds for more studies as well. It's all talk with no action. The FRA has been suggesting splitting the Crescent in Meridian Mississippi and have a section go to Dallas for over a decade. No environmental study has been completed to date. Not so sure about feasibility studies.
It used to be politicans had to come home with some pork to run for re-election. Today, it seems all they can do is to propose bringing home some pork. Where's the meat in that? I want pork, something I can chew on, not what is in your imagination.
  by Midlands Steve

I am glad to see this map. You have to start somewhere. Stop complaining about studies and funding--both are needed and will take place. Not all will be implemented.
For example, one route which I really like is Oklahoma City to Indianapolis. No passenger service on the old Frisco since 1967, and no service east of St. Louis since late 1979. To do the job right, the old PRR route Indianapolis-Richmond-Dayton needs to be restored. Columbus to Pittsburgh via the old PRR is a no-brainer, so this needs attention too. Once completed, the old PRR panhandle route could once again serve several long-haul trains as well as certain regional corridor service (perhaps Indianapolis-Dayton-Columbus). Bring back the Spirit of St. Louis, Penn Texas, and St. Louisan. With so many large metro areas once again linked together, not to mention connections at Effingham, St. Louis, and Oklahoma City, this should be a promising part of Amtrak's system for many years to come.
  by FtHill1231

Mr Midlands, sounds like an enlightened rejuvenated route idea.
Where would the funding sprout for this endeavor?
  by Jeff Smith

I'm kind of with ElectricRon on this; it's easy to draw lines on a map and get money for studies. Some of these routes, such as the inland full-length Seattle (Portland?) to LA, are non-sensical, at least IMHO. Some of the shorter connections I could see.
  by electricron

If we are really serious about fixing Amtrak's long distance routes (the overnight trains with sleepers), we should be limiting them to inter megalopolises; New York, Mid Atlantic, Midwest, Florida, Texas, California, Puget Sound.
Pick one major city in each megaloposlises to act as each's hub, Run local (day) trains from each hub to as many cities you can afford, preferably high speed trains. Run one long distance train between adjacent hubs.
Long distance probable sleeper trains would be; New York City to Charolette, Charolette to Orlando, New York City to Chicago, Chicago to Seattle, Chicago to Texas, Texas to California, Denver to Chicago, Denver to California.

We would be much better off doing it this way. Regional trains would be acceptable fast, and long distance trains would provide the national interconnections. I really do not think implementing many new slow regional trains is the answer for the future of Amtrak. The only new slow trains should be the overnight trains with sleepers.
  by wigwagfan

Hey, look kids! Someone drew a map!

Yawn.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Right on, Mr. Halstead.

Which is more "Fantasyland"; this one from the FRA, or Amtrak's ConnectUS prepared (along with every other agency in town touting their programs) for the incoming Biden administration?