Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by KuBand12

To give a more visual update, here are 2 videos of the work being completed on the CSX mainline and sidings just before the interchange with EMR/NBSR. Even in it's unfinished state, it looks much more impressive than the unusable state it was in just a short time ago. There is work still to be completed.

The two videos are from a wildlife cam so no audio, but very good video of condition within the last few weeks.

https://youtu.be/Y8j2sHaNwIg

The second video shows that they are at least able to get a real train in there.

https://youtu.be/zKdhXWeuIms
  by NHV 669

120 was into Greenville Jct. at 14:45 with 8796/9781, 2 mixed freight, 71 wells/130 containers, 2 empty wells, 50 mixed freight.
  by NHV 669

121 was into Greenville Jct. at 07:43 with 9781, 4 mixed freight, 3 wells/6 containers, 26 mixed freight, 8796 (DPU), 53 mixed freight, including some MoW hoppers at the rear.
  by NHV 669

No 120 yesterday, no 121 this morning.

120 was into Greenville Jct. at 15:33 with 8004/KCS 4836/NBSR 3068, 43 wells/83 containers, 1 empty well, 83 mixed freight including 22 loaded autoracks.
  by NHV 669

121 was into Greenville Jct. at 08:14 with 8004/KCS 4836, 80 wells/161 containers, 3 empty wells, 32 mixed freight, including 13 empty autoracks at the end.

[Edited at 17:12]

120 was into Greenville Jct. at 12:16 with 8126/8716/8852, 19 mixed freight, 41 wells/70 containers, 21 empty wells.
  by NHV 669

121 was into Greenville Jct. at 09:25 with 8852/8716, 67 wells/128 containers, 9 mixed freight, 8126 (DPU), 54 mixed freight (10 empty racks).
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. NHV, even if a "one a day", the loadings you report remain impressive. Outside of his "oil cans", better known as business no one can expect to return, I doubt if Eddie ever enjoyed those loads.

Now, what will happen as Chessie foregoes her Fancy Feast and settles for Kibbles and Bits as she fixes up the MEC (there are videos about showing what she is doing to the interchange at Keag). Can she attract new traffic from her sources about the Eastern USA, or will she simply try and scratch away at what is yours?
  by NHV 669

It's still two a day, Mr. Norman, at least 5x a week.

120 was into Greenville Jct. at 17:23 with 8652/8881, 84 wells/129 containers, 15 empty wells, 29 mixed freight.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. NHV, I should clarify; from your reports, it appears the CP-M has "one a day" in each direction.
  by NHV 669

I should have understood as such, Mr. Norman. We'll see if the double ship bookings starting this next week eventually lead to the return of a second train pair over the Moosehead.
  by NHV 669

121 was into Greenville Jct. at 08:29 with 8881/2240, 30 mixed freight, 34 wells/68 containers, 8652 (DPU), 36 wells/71 containers, 3 empty wells.

Checking the booking this morning, there is no longer a double booking on Thursday. NYK Rumina arrived at PSJ a few hours ago, Livorno Express is still tabbed for Thursday, with Maersk Wilmington now coming Friday. NYK Remus has been pushed back to Saturday; MSC Malena is supposed to arrive Saturday as well. No other same day arrivals again until 7/11.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Again Mr. NHV, I note the strong loadings you report on the CP-M's "one a day". It's nice to note that vessels choose to call at Saint John.

However, let us note that CP-M presently has that market for themselves (yes, I know the CN also serves Saint John, but I think we both agree such is over a circuitous secondary line), but Chessie is dropping Fancy Feast in getting the Maine Central ready to be a competitor. Those videos taken @ Keag show that she means business.

I assume that the two Irving roads (one US, other CD) needed to actually originate and deliver traffic at Saint John have no reason to "play favorites".

I would hope that having two roads available, such as is found at every US port, save those in Florida, would be a "calling card" to have more vessels call at Saint John. Let's hope this be the case and that Chessie can enjoy traffic at the same level as does CP-M. For if the traffic base is "fixed" and Chessie starts clawing away with a savage and ruinous rate war, who then has benefitted?
  by NHV 669

120 was into Greenville Jct. at 14:50 with 8616, 60 wells/124 containers, 5 empty wells, 9776 (DPU), 15 empty wells, 48 wells/91 containers, 13 mixed freight.
  by JayBee

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:41 am
I would hope that having two roads available, such as is found at every US port, save those in Florida, would be a "calling card" to have more vessels call at Saint John. Let's hope this be the case and that Chessie can enjoy traffic at the same level as does CP-M. For if the traffic base is "fixed" and Chessie starts clawing away with a savage and ruinous rate war, who then has benefitted?
Some of the business CSX can't reasonably get. For example containers and carload freight destined for points in Canada on CPKC. And while CN isn't competing for container traffic out of Saint John I believe they get some carload traffic off the Irving Railroads.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Points well noted, Mr. JayBee.

Of course there is traffic originating at Saint John that is best handled by the roads now comprising CPKC. I'm sure Chessie in her great wisdom understands that.

Now insofar as your point regarding the CN at Saint John, it's a fact of life that shippers must "play nice" with roads lest they "play nice with you elsewhere". You noted that not much of CN originated traffic at Saint John appears to be Container. Now what if their traffic is agricultural and the shipper also has a grain storage facility, say, at Brandon, MB. And what if that shipper decided to give some cars at Saint John to the CP-M? "Oh geez guys, we just couldn't get to your Brandon facility today. You know, Precision Railroading only allows so much time for us to switch an industry. Oh, but you are first on the list to be switched next week".

Oh but roads don't do that kind of stuff, right!!!