• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Acela150

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:44 am Messrs. BRAC (Dude) and BLE (Acela 150), don't mean to talk politics, but I'd be thinking of a Jan 20, 2025 commencement with Joe, after coming to his senses and withdraws or is defeated, making a farewell trip on such to Wilmington.
What does a Presidential election have to do with new equipment? Nothing.
  by dizelinr

I don't like repeating misinformation but I keep hearing someone on a Facebook group claim that the problems / issues being experienced during testing of the the Acela 2 sets in Pueblo, CO are so severe that the entire program is likely to be scrapped and Amtrak will be terminated as a result. This person clearly has a bone to pick with Amtrak and it seems to border on conspiracy theory territory but I just want to ask if anyone has heard of any absolute showstoppers in terms of the testing process?

I've Googled the topic and searched through these archives and I have not found anything that validates what sounds to me like hyperbole. It's also a bizarre argument to make. If there was a grain of truth to it I assume Alstom would be contractually obligated to provide Amtrak with new working train sets that meet the same operational specs by one means or another. I cannot imagine Alstom simply walking away from this and claiming no risk to their reputation in doing so. Amtrak may not be as prestigious a client as SNCF but it still would not look good for Alstom to leave Amtrak to its own devices on this.

My understanding is that the primary issue is with the interface between the Acela 2's catenary and the NEC's vintage overhead lines requiring Alstom to test out a modified design for the contact arms. Is that generally correct?
  by STrRedWolf

dizelinr wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:28 pm I don't like repeating misinformation but I keep hearing someone on a Facebook group claim that the problems / issues being experienced during testing of the the Acela 2 sets in Pueblo, CO are so severe that the entire program is likely to be scrapped and Amtrak will be terminated as a result. This person clearly has a bone to pick with Amtrak and it seems to border on conspiracy theory territory but I just want to ask if anyone has heard of any absolute showstoppers in terms of the testing process?
My understanding is that the primary issue is with the interface between the Acela 2's catenary and the NEC's vintage overhead lines requiring Alstom to test out a modified design for the contact arms. Is that generally correct?
I haven't heard of any need for modified caternary contact arms. If they caught the problem in Pueblo, CO with the test equipment, they would of fixed it by the time they tested it out on the NEC, and they have run the equipment on the NEC at various speeds... plus have at least 4 sets of equipment stored in DC and Philly Penn Coach yards. If it was so severe to terminate after Pueblo, they wouldn't have the extra equipment made, let alone delivered.

So... yeah, report that guy for spreading misinformation.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Messrs. Diesel and Wolf, no wonder I checked out of Facebook three weeks after signing up during '11 (I got a 15yo kid to come over here and get me completely and totally "out of it").

From what I've heard, it has become even more of a cesspool since then.
  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:55 am Messrs. Diesel and Wolf, no wonder I checked out of Facebook three weeks after signing up during '11 (I got a 15yo kid to come over here and get me completely and totally "out of it").

From what I've heard, it has become even more of a cesspool since then.
I'm reminded of Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music's "About" section. As part of it's main guiding rules, #3 states: Social media knows absolutely nothing. About anything. Never get your education from YouTube comments or Facebook memes. Your friends are morons.
  by BandA

How long does it take to test these bad boys? Are they not using mostly existing European technology?

In a more practical note, someone mentioned running Acela II in a Regional slot. How many seats does an Acela II have vs. a Regional vs. an Acela Classic?
  by RandallW

I understand that, given how Acela trainsets are operated today, only 8 Liberties would be needed to completely replace the Expresses on the Acela services. They could be waiting to just do a complete swap of trainsets on the service (i.e. upgrade all Acela schedules at once). Do note that the Acela schedules are drastically reduced from what they were in 2019, and that business traffic has not recovered the way leisure traffic has, so the full order of 28 trains would not be needed unless there is a currently unanticipated increase in time-sensitive (as opposed to price-sensitive) travel in the NEC.

Assuming a Regional train has 7 Amfleet I coaches, the Regional has 504 seats available, while the Avelia Liberties have only 386 seats (82 more than an Acela Express, btw), 8 regional schedules are diesel hauled on part of their trip, and not all Regional stations between Boston and Washington have high platforms so I think using Liberties for some Regional services would complicate both Regional fleet management, customer experiences, and schedules.
  by STrRedWolf

RandallW wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:13 am Assuming a Regional train has 7 Amfleet I coaches, the Regional has 504 seats available, while the Avelia Liberties have only 386 seats (82 more than an Acela Express, btw), 8 regional schedules are diesel hauled on part of their trip, and not all Regional stations between Boston and Washington have high platforms so I think using Liberties for some Regional services would complicate both Regional fleet management, customer experiences, and schedules.
Last year, the NEC Regionals were largely full... or at least, the Acela AL's would not be able to fill demand that the regional has. Plus, Acela is a different class: High speed, limited stops, more elegant service. Which is why I see the Acela AL's more of an extra service until they fully replace the Acela Express.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Randall W, probably best that Mystic and Westerly, both being on curves, best remain low level. If high, the possibility of passenger injury would increase.

As they say in "Old England", "Mind the Gap".
  by STrRedWolf

While one would argue for the use of hydraulic gap fillers (NYC MTA subway) the argument against that is maintenance cost and added dwell time. Meanwhile, all you need to do with the low platforms is extend the demarcation on platform and make sure you have step stools on board, which is a lot cheaper. (Wheelchair of course would need a small high-block or hand-crank lift)