• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

I can't recall where I saw it, but someone posted either a photo or a video a few days ago of R.J. Corman crews installing newer and heavier rail on the ex-MEC mainline to Mattawamkeag. It was an encouraging sight after four decades of deferred maintenance.

From a logistical perspective, perhaps it makes sense to tackle that line first, since there's currently no traffic on it. The Worcester Main will, I assume, be a slower and more challenging project because of how busy it is.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Sure seems, as this discussion moves ahead , is the only thing Class I about Timmy's 1:1 Lionel set, was that FRA measurement of its track. :wink:
  by newpylong

F74265A wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:46 am Worcester Main -- The remnants of the Worcester, Nashua and Portland from Worcester to the Hill Yard in Ayer.

the Fitchburg -- the now MBTA segment of mainline from the Hill Yard in Ayer east to the junction with the Stony Brook Branch at a place called Willows.

Stony Brook Branch -- The segment from Willows east to the Wye at North Chelmsford on the Northern Mainline. This segment once was the Stony Brook Branch and then later became part of the freight mainline bypassing Boston
Yes, this is the generally used nomenclature, with the addition of the Lowell Branch from BY on the NH Division to Lowell Junction on the Western. To be honest I haven't reviewed the milepost and sub-division changes by CSX very well.
  by newpylong

MEC407 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:19 pm From a logistical perspective, perhaps it makes sense to tackle that line first, since there's currently no traffic on it. The Worcester Main will, I assume, be a slower and more challenging project because of how busy it is.
It's more about the business standpoint than anything else. The top half of the Worcester line adds what, a couple more hours transit time at 10 MPH? Meanwhile, the line to Keag isn't even in revenue service. They continue to pay CP to move their traffic at NMJ. As soon as the line is back open they can stop paying someone else to move their freight and begin to market the service again themselves. It's about starting to actually use 1/3 of the railroad that they just spent umpteen million dollars on and can't use currently.
  by Gilbert B Norman

newpylong wrote: . As soon as the line is back open they can stop paying someone else to move their freight and begin to market the service again themselves. It's about starting to actually use 1/3 of the railroad that they just spent umpteen million dollars on and can't use currently.
Another point, Mr. Newpy, that must not be lost sight of, is how happy/cooperative CPKC will be handling Chessie's traffic NMJ-Keag as they come to realize there's now competition in town.

I presume that the MEC was what the acquisition was mostly about. Possibly the B&M's North-South traffic potential was in the mix, but to reach any market of size, such as New York involves accessing a foreign road, and since the traffic on such is primarily passenger, there are surely operating restrictions to factor in.

Finally, who knows what's ahead for your road - the PAS.
  by FatNoah

Totally unrelated to the east end, but I just passed through Jacksonville on Amtrak #98 and noted 5 blue Pan Am and one Guilford boxcars on what looked like a shop track.
  by newpylong

I've seen MEC and B&M rolling stock in CSX videos on trains that most definitely are not dealing with origination or terminating traffic off ex-PAR. So they definitely are using the cars in the pool if they're in good enough shape.
  by QB 52.32

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Another point, Mr. Newpy, that must not be lost sight of, is how happy/cooperative CPKC will be handling Chessie's traffic NMJ-Keag as they come to realize there's now competition in town.

I presume that the MEC was what the acquisition was mostly about. Possibly the B&M's North-South traffic potential was in the mix, but to reach any market of size, such as New York involves accessing a foreign road, and since the traffic on such is primarily passenger, there are surely operating restrictions to factor in.
Importantly in the strategic mix, the B&M gives CSX elbow room to serve and grow within the 6th largest Boston-Worcester-Providence area US population that grew 7% 2010-20 and specifically as passenger rail and re-development pressure grows Worcester (Springfield) and east on the B&A and NH, including playing a competitively-advantaged part in South-North, manufacturing-to-consumption, as well as outbound waste traffic potential among their growth opportunities.

In terms of CPKC happiness/cooperation in their CSX relationship and Port Saint John traffic, crucial not to overlook how CPKC currently gets to/from Chicago.
  by type 7 3704

Which CSX engines have the ACSES PTC that's necessary to lead on MBTA territory between Ayer and Haverhill? I've never seen a comprehensive list. Unlike NS, CSX ACSES engines don't seem to be marked as such.

My current understanding are the following have ACSES:

Some 6200-series GP38-2's and GP40-2's
Some 8000-series and 8800-series SD40-2s
Some 400-series CW44AH's, from roughly 464-487. 480 was rebuilt recently as a CM44AC and renumbered 7380, but it's unclear if it ever had ACSES.
SD40E3 #1712
F40PH #1 and #2 (this is only for the OCS executive train)
  by bostontrainguy

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:53 pm " . . . but to reach any market of size, such as New York . . . "
Not long ago CP was all excited about reaching New York, remember? The traffic never materialized.

NEW YORK (July 26) — Canadian Pacific Railway, Canada’s second-largest railroad, quietly commenced regular freight service to New York City earlier this month, a long-sought market the company hopes will boost its fortunes in the Northeastern U.S.

https://www.trucknews.com/transportatio ... 003113416/
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Trainguy, my comment of "it's all about the Maine Central" was based upon Chessie seeing the potential for handling "Products of Forests" and maritime traffic - Containers and autos- from Saint John (apparently, garbage is also considered "lucrative"). Her competition, the CP-M, has a routing that would take traffic through Canada.

Yes, CPKC can access New York, for they own the D&H, have trackage over the West Shore, and access over CRSA.

Chessie really isn't direct either, but she has the B&A, West Shore, and CRSA, which is less circuitous than CPKC.
  by newpylong

CP only owns the D&H North End and has trackage rights over the CSX Hudson Line, not River (West Shore) line, which they stopped exercising.

CSX has a choice of either the River or Hudson Lines.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Thanks Mr. Newpy

So it would appear that CPKC can only be competitive with New Brunswick and Maine traffic when such is moved through Canada to Detroit, thence using their NS (NYC Water Level) rights until reaching their own IHB rails and connecting to their new System via "my MILW".
  by CPF363

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:07 am Yes, CPKC can access New York, for they own the D&H, have trackage over the West Shore, and access over CRSA.
CP no longer has access to the CRSA in New Jersey since the divestiture of the south end of the D&H to NS in 2015. CP retained ownership of the D&H north of Schenectady (CPF 485) to Rouses Point on the Canadian Border.
  by A215

The rumored start of the B&E continues to not live up to the hype. May 1st is off the table, and while there was briefly talk of June 1st it appears that won't be the case as well.