• BR&P in Warsaw, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by charlie6017

1Loran wrote:I believe that the Warsaw Depot at the top or Rochester St is still owned and used by R&S. Just recently the old wooden freight ramp was removed from het SW side of the building. That building has great memories for me, as my Grandfather worked out of that station from 1912 to 1953. He lived halfway down Rochester St and would walk to work each day. He used to take me as a child to the station and tell me stories about the big derailments there and in Rock Glen. His name was Joseph Saggese and he lived in Warsaw until 1965.
Thank you very much for this info, and I thanks for sharing your memories. I can only wish a time machine was a reality
so we could go back and visit back in time! 😎

Charlie
  by BR&P

1Loran wrote: my Grandfather worked out of that station from 1912 to 1953. He used to take me as a child to the station and tell me stories about the big derailments there and in Rock Glen.
Cool! Image

One such wreck there occurred in March 1932, not long after the B&O had taken over. A heavy snowstorm made things difficult, and a northbound freight was attempting to clear up for a following passenger train. The passenger engineer had been warned about the poor visibility and about the freight ahead but he missed the signals and plowed into the rear of the freight. The passenger engineer was killed, I believe the freight conductor was injured, several cars were derailed, and the caboose was demolished and the stove set the splintered remains on fire.
  by mkirsch

Was there a derailment in Rock Glen around 1979/1980? I went to afternoon kindergarten in Warsaw and the suburban that picked us up went down Wethersfield Rd into Rock Glen and I seem to remember something like that going on.
  by BR&P

mkirsch wrote:Was there a derailment in Rock Glen around 1979/1980? I went to afternoon kindergarten in Warsaw and the suburban that picked us up went down Wethersfield Rd into Rock Glen and I seem to remember something like that going on.
Mike Z's BR&P Volume 1 book has a pic on the bottom of page 45 of a southbound B&O train on the curve by the highway. It was taken in March 1980 and notes the train is passing wreckage from a previous derailment. So while that does not give an exact date, I CAN confirm your memory is correct.
  by ebtrr

Just a note on this old thread, per Google Street View, the Warsaw Freight House is now gone. Disappeared somewhere between August 2018 and September 2020. No idea as to why, as it looked to be in good shape. Neighboring building is gone also.

https://goo.gl/maps/CzoSb9TUL9xKL2Vi9
  by nydepot

Long threads elsewhere on the Inter-web. Owner wanted it gone. It happened quickly, without historical or village intervention.