• CSX Track Upgrades & Infrastructure of Pan Am

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Ken Rice

Last time I checked out the Hillsboro track there was no visible ballast in most spots and more pressingly the “ties” seemed to be mostly disintegrating and becoming one with the soil. I think the rail is kept in place by habit more than anything else. It’s kind of amazing a train can sometimes get over it without derailing. Ties seem like the most urgent need there, followed by ballast so they don’t prematurely rot.
  by newpylong

The Hillsborough Branch, it heads west out of Nashua - 5 MPH. IMHO, if something has to be reduced to 5 MPH it shouldn't even be in service.
  by rustyrails

I totally agree! If there is a 5mph stretch that is barely quicker than a brisk walk, it’s only a cash cow like an old boat.
  by bostontrainguy

Just Marmon Utility/Hendrix Wire out there right? Would CSX consider it worth upgrading? Give the business to Milford-Bennington?
  by johnpbarlow

Another 20 or so CSX hoppers of stone are heading east on M426-04 that passed through Springfield around 10pm Wednesday night 1/4/23.
  by johnpbarlow

Another 20 or so CSX hoppers of stone are heading east on M426-04 that passed through Springfield around 10pm Wednesday night 1/4/23.
  by taracer

newpylong wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:38 am I would leave the caveat that it may make sense to actually qualify the Selkirk crews a little beyond Ayer ie Lowell as to not limit recrew locations. Ayer is PAS territory so unless CSX wants to recrew at Harvard or Still River (just south of the Hill Yard) on their single iron that's really all they are going to be able to do once GWI takes over operations of PAS. There are no provisions in the operating agreement for CSX to park trains in Ayer for a recrew. Of course, in doing this would that would mean they would need to run over more MBTA territory on the Fitchburg which has its whole host of requirements.
Agreed that they will qualify us a little beyond Ayer. I think it's going to be the New England version of the situation in North Jersey, the GWI being Conrail.
  by Ken Rice

bostontrainguy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:56 pm Just Marmon Utility/Hendrix Wire out there right? Would CSX consider it worth upgrading? Give the business to Milford-Bennington?
I believe Harcros Chemicals still gets cars.
  by newpylong

Well I'll be, confirmed to me today via someone directly involved that the scuttlebutt is true: milepost changes are in the works as well as the Sub Divisions.
  by johnpbarlow

Per the Fairport train log, another rail train, W025, is heading east for Ayer as observed passing the Fairport NY live cam at 4:30PM Thursday 1/5/23.
  by CPF363

Searching through the last few tabs of the infrastructure thread, and outside of the rail for the Worcester Mainline, how many rail trains have there been so far and where was all of it dropped? Anyone see what size rail was on the trains? Then there is the additional welded rail for the Downeaster doube-tracking project, how much is going in there? From looking at the trains, the CSX cars consists of second hand rail removed form other parts of CSX and the CWRX cars is new rail.
neman2 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:26 pm At 4:29 pm Friday 12/9/22 thanks to Stony Brook Railroad Vids on You Tube passing through Chelmsford-------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NemsV75 ... WL&index=3
Red Wing wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:48 pm Saw rail train included with a general freight heading Maineward through Lawrence today.
neman2 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:55 pm From You Tube video by Stony Brook Railroad Vids CWR train WO11? EB through CPF-307 Westford at 15:41 hrs today -- destination unknown----https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ-5Cue ... WL&index=2
johnpbarlow wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:55 am Per the Fairport train log, another rail train, W025, is heading east for Ayer as observed passing the Fairport NY live cam at 4:30PM Thursday 1/5/23.
From the Downeaster thread:
PT1101 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:45 am On January 5 and 6, the rail train that has been parked on Walnut siding will begin unloading in the Wells area as part of the double tracking project. As such, Downeaster trains 680 and 682 will run from Brunswick to Boston. Trains 681, and 686 will not operate. Trains 685, 687, 688 and 689 will operate as normal. Train 684 will operate between Brunswick and Wells, where passengers will be transferred to busses for points west. Train 683 will operate from Wells to Brunswick once the busses from Boston arrive. If I hear of any updates, I'll be sure to pass the information along.
  by Red Wing

Ballest cars heading west on the North Chelmsford Wye this morning.