• MBTA Locomotive Refueling

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by l008com

I have a bunch of questions about MBTA refueling, I always think of these questions when I'm around BET trying to shoot some train videos.

So at BET, there are two gigantic tanks, are those both for train diesel?
Is there another "fueling station" for the south side, or do south side trains need to come up north to gas up?
How much fuel does a locomotive hold, and how often do they need to get gas?

Here is the question I'm MOST curious about. Assuming those are the fuel tanks, how do THEY get filled? Does fuel get delivered by truck? Or by rail? It by rail, it would probably come down the Lowell line but I don't recall ever seeing fuel cars on those little freight trains that run down from the north.

If the fuel is delivered by truck, AND it comes right from Everett, then I guess that kind of makes sense. Although even in that case, I feel like a siding up there where BET could send their own switchers to retrieve their own fuel tankers.

But I'm just guessing about the logistics, I have no idea how any of this works. That's what I'm asking! Thanks in advance!
  by CRail

Those are the fuel tanks. They are filled by truck and fed to pumps on the 3 S&I tracks (3 long bays closest to the Fitchburg line). The locomotives hold roughly 1800 gallons, and are fueled every day they're in service. Trains that spend the night at outlying points are fueled mid day.

Regarding south, let's think about that for a second... Do you really think the entire southside roster comes north every day for fuel!? The S&I building at Southampton St. (between the Dorchester Branch and Old Colony mains north of the Amtrak facility) has 3 fuel stands, 2 in the building and 1 outside. On occasion a locomotive will be fueled by a truck at an outlying point but that's pretty much avoided at all costs.
  by l008com

CRail wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:21 am Do you really think the entire southside roster comes north every day for fuel!?
No, I would have guessed that these locomotives only needed to be fueled once a week.

Also if the big tanks are refilled by truck, does that mean there is a constant stream of tanker trucks delivering diesel to those tanks every day?
  by CSRR573

Just to add to the discussion, At Amtrak we have the fuel truck directly refuel the locomotive, about 1900 gallons in a P42
  by BandA

So the P42 is used for the Lake Shore Ltd and the Downeaster? And Amtrak has to move them to the yard and call a fuel truck? Wouldn't it be more efficient/cheaper to buy diesel from the MBTA? If you had fume control and an under-track "robot" you could gas up at the station.
  by Red Wing

I've seen a fuel truck owned by the T in Rosemont.
  by nomis

It’s always in the carrier’s interest to fuel at S&I or BET, as Keolis is on the hook for fueling at outlying points unless it’s a scheduled “track outage” event.
  by CSRR573

BandA wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:36 pm So the P42 is used for the Lake Shore Ltd and the Downeaster? And Amtrak has to move them to the yard and call a fuel truck? Wouldn't it be more efficient/cheaper to buy diesel from the MBTA? If you had fume control and an under-track "robot" you could gas up at the station.
I believe the Downeaster is refueled in Brunswick, The LSL and all the other Diesel engines at SHSY are refueled in the yard. The fuel truck usually shows up mid day almost everyday.