• NY Penn Station "headknocker" beams being removed

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by STrRedWolf

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/tra ... 1.50531104
Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials on Tuesday previewed one of several forthcoming improvements at the Long Island Rail Road’s cramped Manhattan home: removal of seven low-hanging steel beams that were known to leave lumps on the heads of taller LIRR riders.

MTA chairman and CEO Janno Lieber said the "head-knocker" beams long have been "the main culprit in making Penn feel so dungeonlike."

"Everyone who uses the Long Island Rail Road concourse at Penn knows them and hates them, because they prevent us from having any human-sized head height," Lieber said. "Removing the head-knockers is key to our plan to create a new Penn Station that can truly be a grand entrance to New York."
My reaction: Damn, they had those? I could of used those for comic effect in my stories. Maaaaaaaaaaaaaannnn.... :)
  by NaugyRR

I'm 6'1" and have had to duck a little going through those corridors (much to the entertainment of my 5'-something better half); I'll be looking forward to having more headroom and open space next time I'm down in the city