• FFW-1 Schedules spring 1950

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by wdburt1

In late April or early May 1950, possibly in conjunction with the April 30 shift to Daylight Saving Time, Lehigh Valley and Nickel Plate inaugurated second-morning service from North Jersey to Chicago, as follows:

FFW-1:
lv New York (Oak Island?) 8:30PM Day 0
ar Buffalo (Tifft?) 10:00 AM Day 1
BC-1:
lv Buffalo Jct Yard 1:30 PM Day 1
ar Chicago (Calumet?) 4:45 AM Day 2

I would like to understand what changes (if any) were made to FFW-1's schedule to make this new service possible. If anyone has FFW-1's schedule before and/or after the time change, please message me. Thanks.
  by lvrr325

Looks like it averaged about 34 mph across the LV.
  by wdburt1

Any thoughts on where to find the schedules, before and after April 30, 1950?
  by charlie6017

Hi Mr. Burt,

In the below link is a freight train schedule from Sept. 27, 1953, which is after your 1950 cutoff date but it does have an entry for FFW-1.

http://lvrr.anthraciterailroads.org/wp- ... ht5309.pdf

And the same site has a number of freight schedules besides the one above, but unfortunately nothing prior to 1950.

http://www.lvrr.anthraciterailroads.org ... e-rosters/

Charlie
  by wdburt1

Thanks for the 1953 schedules. It helps to know whether the LV retreated from 2nd AM service after 1950. Apparently they did not.
  by wdburt1

LV article in the current Classic Trains is set in June 1950 and refers to FFW-1 as a "recently introduced" train (page 58). It also claims that it was a piggyback train, which is incorrect, but easily confused with fast freight (merchandise box car traffic) after 72 years.

Elsewhere, I believe I have read that FFW-1 was renamed from another symbol.

What do we know about these claims?