• Next Locomotive For the T?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by west point

If the Fairmont line gets electrified within say 4 -5 years then there will not be need for more diesel locos.
  by chrisf

mbrproductions wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:18 am I personally think the Tier 4s the MBTA should go for are MP54ACs. The MBTA already has MPI as its most prominent locomotive supplier at this point and they would be the most similar to what the MBTA has now, which make for an easier learning curve for maintenance crews.
Aside from some parts of the carbody and the truck frames, there’s next to nothing common between the MP54AC and anything else the T owns.
  by mbrproductions

I am aware of this, but parts of the cabody and truck frames is closer than having nothing in common like the case would be with F125s or chargers, both of which in my opinion would be inferior options for the MBTA than MP54ACs.
  by 8th Notch

Having similar car body parts and truck frames doesn’t accomplish much of anything, if the T cared that much then they wouldn’t have went with the HSP46 to begin with. I would be surprised if anyone other then GO buys the MP54 variant…
  by chrisf

8th Notch wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:46 am Having similar car body parts and truck frames doesn’t accomplish much of anything, if the T cared that much then they wouldn’t have went with the HSP46 to begin with. I would be surprised if anyone other then GO buys the MP54 variant…
I would hope that if the T is going to buy more diesels, that they don't go with some oddball thing like the MP54 or an HSP46 derivative and just stay with a standard proven model like the Siemens Charger. Given that this is the MBTA, it's unlikely they'd opt for a standard option, of course.
  by mbrproductions

An HSP46 derivative wouldn't be an "oddball" locomotive for the MBTA because they already have 40 original HSP46s, and it is normal in the industry for railroads to have fleets of locomotives that are not the standard, the MBTA has the HSP46, Metrolink has the F125, GO Transit (as you mentioned) has the MP54AC, Tri-Rail has the BL36PH, etc.