• ALC-42s in revenue service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by CNJGeep

Hearing today's (2/8) #7 leaving Chicago
  by dgvrengineer

It happened today (2/8) on the Builder. 301 was leading but couldn't get PTC to work so a P42 was added to lead. Heard they had a fire in the lounge at Glenview but don't know the results.
  by ST Saint

I'll drop this here. It should be in Seattle today around lunch time.
  by wigwagfan

Lead unit 302 on train 8 (eastbound Empire Builder) last night struck an unoccupied truck near Sultan, Washington.
  by Gilbert B Norman

From what I observed on Friday Feb 25, the sooner this motive power gets placed in revenue service, the better for Amtrak and the "host" railroads.

From and "up close and personal" observation of 92(25) at DFB, i.e. from the platform, I noted that both the 1XX P-42 and the 8XX P-40 had bodies that were corroded through. If any boarding passengers noticed such, I must wonder if it deterred their confidence in their journey.

Hopefully, those engines worked better than their cosmetics suggested they would.
  by RandallW

http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents ... uppert.pdf indicates ALC-42s will be deployed to these routes as units become available:
  • Empire Builder (CHI-SEA/PORT)
  • City of New Orleans (CHI – NOL)
  • Then operate WAS trains (Mid ‘22)
  • Then operate NE trains (Late ‘22)
  • Remaining LD service (2023)
  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed two 3XX locomotives, along with two P-42's (leading), in consist of #4(14).

Four engines for six cars - should not have been 65ML.
  by Shortline614

The ALC-42 is supposedly coming east on the Capital Limited. I might try to catch it coming though Point of Rocks. Anyone know what time it would be coming though? Early tomorrow morning prehaps?
  by mcgrath618

Shortline614 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:44 pm The ALC-42 is supposedly coming east on the Capital Limited. I might try to catch it coming though Point of Rocks. Anyone know what time it would be coming though? Early tomorrow morning prehaps?
Capitol Limited. It’s for the building, not the place.

I believe all ALCs will be delivered to DC on the Capitol, as it gets them closest to Bear, DE.
  by Shortline614

Spotted the ALC-42 on the Capital Limited at Point of Rocks.