• B&M diesel locomotive end-date roster?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Benjamin Maggi

I am interested in putting together a timeline of B&M diesel locomotives. In addition to some internet searches, I have several books including the three-part series by Liljestrand & Sweetland; the "Color" book (which I think is Part I) by Plant & Plant, the "Three Colorful Decades" by Robert Jones, and the "Bluebirds" book by Tom Nelligan.

Some of these sources have rosters showing when the engines were ordered/built/delivered, but very few show when the engines were off of the roster. I don't need something so specific as a breakdown for every engine (nor do I think such a document exists), but it would be nice to know when the last engine of the class was sold/scrapped.

Is there a book or other online resource that has this information?

Thanks.
  by Rockingham Racer

Perhaps contact the Boston and Maine Historical Society?
  by arthur d.

The B&MRRHS published an all time diesel roster spanning multiple issues of their "B&M Bulletin" in the late seventies.
Not certain but I think too that JBVB has a similar list online.
  by Benjamin Maggi

Thank you both. I will reach out to them.
  by arthur d.

The BMRRHS roster spanned five issues, beginning with the Fall 1977 issue and running to the Fall 1978 issue.

JBVB's roster can be found at faracresfarm.com/jbvb/rr/bmrr/dieselde.html
  by Benjamin Maggi

Thank you. I reached out to the Historical Society and hopefully they will have back-issues to sell.
  by jbvb

I doubt the BMRRHS will have back issues from 1977/8. There are several paper dealers with New England focus. Alden Dreyer has in the past maintained a stock of all B&M Bulletin back issues but that may have changed in the past couple of years.

I have those issues myself, so I could add "last unit active" numbers and dates to my B&M Diesel Roster, as I have in my Steam Roster. An update is in progress, we'll see how it progresses vs. other demands on my time.
  by Benjamin Maggi

I have started to purchase the Bulletins from EBay, so soon enough I will (hopefully) have that information. Thank you for your offer, and your website IS very helpful!