Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by newkirk

railfaned wrote: I have photos of the Jamaica OBS at the Black River & Western, along with the LIRR's Rotary Snow Plow in 1979. Not all the cars were going to the scrapers.
That may account for the OBS "Jamaica", but the MP-70 and 54 MU didn't wind up in any museums to my knowledge.

The mystery7 continues !
  by newkirk

railfaned wrote: I have photos of the Jamaica OBS at the Black River & Western, along with the LIRR's Rotary Snow Plow in 1979. Not all the cars were going to the scrapers.
That may account for the OBS "Jamaica", but the MP-70 and MP-54 MU didn't wind up in any museums to my knowledge.

The mystery continues !
  by ConstanceR46

edited: misread.

I don't think that photo was scrapping - if it was, wouldn't it be more likely they were brought to Corona Yard or sent to Coney Island? i don't think the MP70 made it to a museum, however.
  by 452 Card

It is my opinion that someone walked alongside the Ping with a spraybomb. There is no beginning and end if it were a wire. Also, the third rail shoes are broken off, which is a standard procedure to move an MU car out of its territory, or to move it from an event site. Its 4657, maybe someone has a list of MP-54MU cars removed from service due to damage or just plain time-to-go. I am clueless about the other cars in question. Also, no whistle on the Ping means to me that it would be the very first item to be liberated if the car was on the way out. The Observation car looks un-maintained and used up.
  by RGlueck

I surrender on the issue of the wire. It is spray paint. I had an idea about the Ob. It isn't an ob, but an ex-PRR solarium car, of which the LIRR had at least one. The blue stripe on the window is evident. Solariums looked like obs with almost no platform at all. Betcha that's it.
  by newkirk

1) Interior view of a "ping pong" car.
2) Freeport at grade level. I date this photo about 1959-60 by the 1959 Buick Invicta seen on the right.
Train made connection with Jones Beach bus.
3) Any comments about T-54B #500 ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by railfaned

1) Interior view of a "ping pong" car.
Hi Newkirk,
I believe that interior view is an MP54 that had been modernized with recessed lighting, seats from the MP72 era, and new floor tiles. and possibly a new fan. Note, the roof line.
  by newkirk

railfaned wrote: Hi Newkirk,
I believe that interior view is an MP54 that had been modernized with recessed lighting, seats from the MP72 era, and new floor tiles. and possibly a new fan. Note, the roof line.
Thanks anyway, I was aware of that. Thought I'd post a pic for those who never seen the interior of a "ping".
  by railfaned

Hi All,
Thanks to Trains are Fun, Here is what the original interior of a Ping Pong looked like before they were modernized. Note the exposed lighting, all the little fans, the lower seating. This is how I remembered them in the 60's.
Ping Pong P54 Interior -2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.