• Using Monthly Bus Pass On Raritan Valley Line (Weekends)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by njrebel1978

I recently just noticed this printed on the Rt 65 bus schedule (see attached file). Supposedly you can use a Zone 2 Intrastate monthly bus pass on the Raritan train on weekends (after 7pm on Fridays). It is also printed on the Rt 59 and 113 bus schedules. Therefore I called NJT to confirm this was legit and she told me Yes it is! She explained that a Zone 2 bus pass will get you between Nwk and Roselle Park, and 3 Zone pass for Cranford, 4 Zone for Westfield, etc..

I just hope the conductors know about this cross honor weekend rule. I plan to use it this weekend. Anyone else experience using their Bus pass on Raritan on weekends? I wonder how many people are aware of this semi hidden cross honor privilege?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by njrebel1978

Update: This past weekend, I used my Zone 2 monthly bus pass on Raritan without a problem. The conductor did inspect my pass for a couple seconds longer than usual, but no issues. Glad I found out about this. It seems NJT is trying to keep this as kind of a hidden secret since it is not mentioned anywhere on their website or even the RVL schedule. It is only stated on a few select bus schedules.
  by jamesinclair

Good to know. Honestly, the current policy on bus passes makes no sense.

A $100 bus pass gets you $100 worth of bus only.
A $100 train pass gets you $100 worth of bus AND train.

Why?
  by njrebel1978

James, I agree the entire "zone rule" is just complicated and silly. I have used public transit in many other states and none of them had a zones.

However, a $100 rail pass can be equal to a $100 bus pass in value depending on the customer. For example, the rail pass between RP and Newark is about $100/month, and includes a one zone bus ride. Yet, 2 Zone monthly bus pass is about $20 cheaper, can be used on Raritan on the weekends/holidays, and can also be used on any light rail at all times. For my purposes, thats a better value because I normally only take the train on weekends for leisure and the two zone bus pass gets me to and from work each weekday.
  by nightmare403

u can also use an interstate 5 zone or high between NYP and Newark only as posted in the 113 bus timetable
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by njrebel1978

Very true nightmare. I just find it interesting that NJT does not state this info on the rail schedules though. Almost as if they don't want this weekend cross honor info to be well known.