• Seeking info on Clifford Somerville, B&M p.r. director 1950s

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Morning Zephyr

I recently came across correspondence from B and M public relations director Clifford Somerville, written in the 1960s. I believe he led the company's press and public relations from some point in the 1940s into 1960s. He lived in Malden, and passed away in the mid-1970s. I would like to hear from any of his descendants (my cousins) or anyone who knew him, to share family info.
  by jbvb

The 1957 Official Guide of the Railways lists George H. Hill as Assistant to President - Public Relations. His name often shows up in photo credits in that era. No P.R. officials are listed in 1952 or 1961 Official Guides.
  by arthur d.

Excerpts from R.M Neal's "High Green and the Bark Peelers" (Duell, Sloan and Pearce 1950) a letter from author Neal to engine man Henry Beaulieu:
"Next time you're in Boston, please go to the public relations department and ask the top man whether the B&M would like to have a book written about it...."
... "That top man was George H. Hill."