• Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jeff Smith

So, Superstar, you’re saying Virgin, which is a contract operator in the UK, and Brightline management would unequivocally turn down an opportunity to expand their brand? And who’s to say they wouldn’t do it and expand into Real Estate? Northern Westchester, Dutchess, etc. still has development opportunities.

Yes, it’s “foam” right now. But so was Penn Access for MNRR up until today.
  by superstar

Jeff Smith wrote:So, Superstar, you’re saying Virgin, which is a contract operator in the UK, and Brightline management would unequivocally turn down an opportunity to expand their brand? And who’s to say they wouldn’t do it and expand into Real Estate? Northern Westchester, Dutchess, etc. still has development opportunities.

Yes, it’s “foam” right now. But so was Penn Access for MNRR up until today.
Yes, even more so now that Virgin is involved, which is a globally known brand with a (generally) favorable brand image. Virgin also has a huge presence in Florida already with VS's flights to Florida; I have no doubt that they will be selling combined flight/rail tickets through Orlando. They also have significant traffic to Las Vegas...where Brightline is also bound. They have no such connections to New York, where BA more or less owns the UK-origin transatlantic traffic.

Look at the stations Brightline built. Look at the buildings that sprouted up around them. Do you think that is in any way compatible with the rathole of NYP and the boarding lines that snake halfway across the concourse? Or the unsheltered platforms north of MNRR territory? That doesn't expand their brand, that destroys it. Do you see a twenty acre plot of land at NYP or ALB for them to buy and develop? Do you honestly think that the wealth of New York's northern suburbs would ever let similar development happen without a legal fight for the ages?

And half the line is already leased to Amtrak on the northern end, a lease that doesn't expire until early next century. What motive does Amtrak have to play ball, and if NYS somehow has a way to break the lease, why would Brightline get into a business relationship with NYS if the state's first action is to unilaterally screw over the previous partner. Why would they invest billions and depend on a partner that is demonstrably untrustworthy?

The only way I could Virgin/Brightline being involved is if they established another subsidiary for contract operations that was operated and branded separately. But I would think that to be even less likely than NYS, if they were well and truly fed up with Amtrak for some reason, establishing their own agency to run the trains.
  by Jeff Smith

I’d expect Virgin would want to gain access to that market, since they have nothing now. NY is the center of the universe. Who wouldn’t want to be there?

As for NYP, point conceded, but I’d also expect Virgin to have a solution to preserve the brand. Like any franchise agreement, there would be opt outs and protections for both parties.

As for Amtrak, it’s a state supported route, not an LD. I said they would keep the LD’s. I’m not sure if they lease the route; I thought they just dispatch. But even so, Amtrak allowed CtDOT to outsource operations on the Hartford Line, and they own that line outright.

Contract operation = Negotiated profit, real estate or not. Brand awareness in the largest market in the world, with snowbirds who vacation in Florida and an awful lot of wealthy people in the lower to middle part of that corridor. I don’t think it’s that much of a stretch. You might, that’s cool, we’re not going to change each other’s minds.
  by Railjunkie

Amtrak leases from 75.8 to Hoffmans, the connection with CSX. Amtrak runs the trains keeps up the track, stations, and dispatching. It was 99 year lease. IF Brightline was to get in I dont know if MNRR would be willing to play ball on their RR. Amtrak crews are qualified on their rules and timetable. Generally when a private concern comes in there is an interview process. Who knows how many Amtrak employees would go with the new service.
  by DutchRailnut

Railjunkie wrote:Generally when a private concern comes in there is an interview process. Who knows how many Amtrak employees would go with the new service.
not to many senior Employees, Brightline would not get you railroad retirement and after loosing current connection that would be about a 20% cut in retirement benefits.
  by dumpster.penguin

superstar has a point. Brightline was a real-estate developer. The trains were perqs to loft the sale price of the condos and offices. It was a magical plan, brilliant in execution, which might yet deliver both public good and private profit. In New York, the closest similar redevelopment opportunity might be Binghamton-Cortland-Syracuse-Watertown. Connect by yak to the future Adirondack Scenic RR in Tupper Lake.
  by benboston

As of today New York is looking into the feasibility of Long Island to Boston or DC trains...

Brightline could go into Grand Central theoretically to meet their standards... Right?
  by Backshophoss

Don't believe "Brightline" equipment will fit due to their skirting,that would foul on the 3rd stubs next to the puzzle switches in GCT.
There's not a "clean" straight shot thru the puzzle switches to the platforms.
Amtrak's Siemens built cars should clear,being built to Amtrak's standards.
  by EuroStar

benboston wrote:As of today New York is looking into the feasibility of Long Island to Boston or DC trains...
This is probably just to shut up some local politician or donor. There is no easy way to turn Amtrak trains on Long Island (there is a wye in Montauk, but that is waaay too far and sparely populated). Also anything to DC or Boston will require engine change at NYP and that is just a no-no. The only thing that "could" (whether it should is different story) be extended to Long Island are the trains from Albany and even then probably no further than Ronkonkoma.

Edit: spelling error
Last edited by EuroStar on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by jcepler1

What about the LIRR service that they had to lease MARC train cars for last summer? I would think that could be something that Amtrak could take over from LIRR.
  by DutchRailnut

no one is suggesting Amtrak take over any service, some politicians want Amtrak express service to LI .
  by NIMBYkiller

Just pointing out that there's plenty of space immediately surrounding Rensselaer station for development. Deck over the parking lots and voila.
  by EuroStar

NIMBYkiller wrote:Just pointing out that there's plenty of space immediately surrounding Rensselaer station for development. Deck over the parking lots and voila.
There is none in New York though. And decking over anything is not that cheap and is unlikely to pay back given that there is plenty of cheap land around Rensselaer. The only place in the US where it is worth to deck over is NYC. Boston and DC are probably on the margin, but any place else is just not worth the cost.
  by Greg Moore

NIMBYkiller wrote:Just pointing out that there's plenty of space immediately surrounding Rensselaer station for development. Deck over the parking lots and voila.
Right now ALB needs more PARKING.

But that said, I think a decent developer could do well to build up some business in that area. CDTA used to (and may still) make a room available (for rent) for business meetings in the station.