• Genesis discussion (AMD-103, P40DC, P42DC)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

A few observations to make here:

Cabbages
I don't think the cabbage route is feasible given the monocoque design of the carbody. It's a stressed body, like an eggshell. Imagine trying to put a tiny rollup door on an eggshell...

Fleet size
I would assume that since there are almost 200 P's in the fleet and about 140 SC44's on order (state and corridor both), there's going to be 70-ish of the best P42's kept around for perhaps five years until the next order.

Maintenance Base
In the past, older fleets are usually consolidated at one or two maintenance bases where spares can be concentrated. Recall the last F40's ran the north end of the NEC, and the last of the Pooches ran Sunset and Autotrain. This might be hard to do considering the new SC44 is slated for corridor service out of most major hubs, including LA, Chicago, and Seattle, while New York has little use for straight diesels. I guess you could base them out of DC for use on all the LD's that change power there - Silvers, Crescent, Cardinal, Auto Train, etc... I don't believe Virginia bought any SC44's anyway. I know a new shop was built in Seattle for the SC44 so trains hubbing out of there will have the SC44 for power at some point.

As a side note, it's amazing how quiet they are! Last week I spent a bit of time on the Wolverine, which requires boarding on the south side of Chicago Union Station. The station is essentially one giant concrete tomb. It's filled with noise even mid-day when a few idling Metra locomotives lay up. While walking out of the north concourse stairways, the outbound Hiawatha passed me almost silently, and outbounds have to accelerate off the blocks and uphill. It was almost like a straight electric.
  by Alex M

If Amtrak was adventurous, some of these retired units could be stripped out and converted to LNG fuel tenders for FEC type operations, a sort of an ABA type consist. This depends on the price of natural gas.
  by kitn1mcc

Commuter,maybe NS will do something crazzy who knows look at what happened to the f40
  by doepack

eolesen wrote:There will be a second-hand market for these with commuter agencies...

I could see Metra bidding for 25+ if they came available to replace 40 year old F40PH-2's and 3's).
Doubtful. Yes, money's tight, and new funding sources have yet to be identified because the state of IL is broke. That said, given Metra's conservative track record in terms of motive power, they would sooner live or die with the recently purchased F59PHI's from California while limping along with the best of the F40PH-2's/3's before looking in a GE direction. Power desperation to the point of cancelling trains would have be reached in order for them to consider these soon-to-be surplus units from Amtrak. Hope it doesn't get that bad, but you never know.

Most likely, the vast majority of them will probably stay out east somewhere...
  by DutchRailnut

no, but its a start of eventual replacement, neither P40 or P42 or P32acdm's was ordered in one order, they always order them in batches.
  by mtuandrew

DutchRailnut wrote:no, but its a start of eventual replacement, neither P40 or P42 or P32acdm's was ordered in one order, they always order them in batches.
That makes sense. Maybe they will just retire the remainder of the P40s now, and get the bulk of the fleet later. I just worry that One Mass won’t follow up an order for more LD power (then will use that as an excuse not to order enough LD cars.)
  by east point

We suspect that the retirements of P-40 and P-42s will see the end of their service anywhere. Remember the problems with trucks caused by improper maintenance that has sidelined some already. Granted those locos are in the worse condition. There is a constant cannibalization of trucks off seriously ill locos now which may leave none to be bought by other agencies without trying to find replacement trucks!
  by frequentflyer

I imagine wants to rid itself of them. The states have Chargers and now Amtrak ordered Chargers for LDTs. Maintenance costs will surely go down with whatever Siemen's mx contract there is and less stocking of parts. Eventually there will Siemens Chargers operating to the four corners of the country, why keep a tired GE around locomotive around on the property?

Also, do not be surprised if Amtrak does not try to reduce some LDTs to one unit instead of two. With that being the case 75 units will come close to doing the job.
  by njtmnrrbuff

The 75 charger unit order is for the long distance trains but I wouldn't be too surprised if all of the state sponsored corridor routes piggyback which they should. New diesel motive power will need to be available to cover extensions of NE Regional trains that continue to Virginia as well as on the Springfield Line. NY State needs something as well.
  by eolesen

Maybe NYS needs to invest in its own locomotives like IL/MI/CA/NC/WA/OR have done?....

Putting all eggs into the Amtrak basket is dangerous. The Midwest states, NC and California could easily find another operator. The east coast is stuck with only Amtrak right now.
  by NaugyRR

I think New York State will probably wait and see what the MTA comes up with for a dual-mode rather than piggybacking on Amtrak's Charger order right away, since they're (MTA) in the process of seeking a new RFP.
  by DutchRailnut

the option order for Amtrak does not include dual modes, and even if LIRR/MN/Amtrak now want Dual modes that order would be after the 75 Amtrak units are built.
The longer they wait, the longer Dual modes will be pushed back.
  by eolesen

I find it hard to believe that Siemens hasn't already looked at mashing the Charger with some third-rail enabled technology from the Sprinter (which isn't third-rail capable, but how hard can it be?...)
  by DutchRailnut

sure they looked into it , but there is more to it to be able to run into GCT for example a emergency egress has to be made for front , and specifications are not yet agreed on by all 3 carriers.
under PRII all 3 carriers will get a same unit , but were getting off course.