Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MetraBNSF

F40CFan wrote:They keep moving 7664 around. It was by the east end of the shops. I wonder if they are getting it ready for use. I hope they don't put those horrible new seats in it. They also should reconsider the paint job. The stripes look ridiculous and off center in the middle of the car, but actually aren't when seen directly on. How about just platinum mist with the Metra logo over the entrance doors?
7664 is now at 14th Street, presumably on a SWS set, first car behind two locomotives. Wish I could’ve gotten a photo on the way out of CUS.
  by F40CFan

There's a blurb about them in the current Railfan and Railroad with a photo.
  by MetraBNSF

Not the best photo but 7664 at 14th St this afternoon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ChicagoRailfanner1989

8236, which recently got it's cab blanked over is back on the MILW/NCS lines after spending 8 or 9 years on the RI.
  by MetraBNSF

Two additional former VRE cars were repainted into the same scheme as 7664 and are at Western Ave. Cannot remember the numbers but 7440 was also coupled and was on the same track as 611 and 614.
  by MetraBNSF

ChicagoRailfanner1989 wrote:Also, 8573 is on the UP Lines and 8553 is on the MILW/NCS Lines
8573 has now made it over to the MILW/NCS.

Additionally there seems to be more 6000 series cars on MILW and a few have also made it to BNSF/SWS.
  by Illinifan

Cars 8231 and 7277 have moved from the Milwaukee District to the Union Pacific Lines. I spotted them on a UP West Line train recently.
  by MetraBNSF

6062 is at 14th Street as of this afternoon.

7664 is back on the Milwaukee. It’s been there for a little bit now.
  by MetraBNSF

A bunch of spare cars were sitting under Roosevelt Road at 14th Street. Presumably these extra cars are for the new train that will begin running on BNSF in June.