• NYAR Train Sighting Thread

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by gregorygrice

LINYARailfan wrote:
gregorygrice wrote:NYAR 155 was on tonight's CSX Q704 to Selkirk. The MP15AC is on it's way to Altoona for rebuild.
At approximately what time will the 155 be on the move from Selkirk to Altoona?
It's CSX, so who knows.
  by Uncle Cheapo

Did 159 come back yet?
  by gregorygrice

Uncle Cheapo wrote:Did 159 come back yet?
Nope. Still in the process at Juanita.
  by Teutobergerwald

Kleet in Huntington was being switched at 12:10pm today. Could see loaded centerbeams from Park Ave, don't know if they got boxcars, too.
  by LINYARailfan

Does anybody know when the 151 will be sent out for rebuild in Juniata? And which route does it go to Altoona after it goes to Selkirk and down the River Line via CSX/NS? I sure hope it will be on a weekend so I have a slight chance of seeing it on the move to Altoona via NS?
  by trainspot

155 was photographed sitting in Manville, NJ yesterday. Has some issues to be fixed before it continues West.
  by tj48

This morning 3 GP38-2s and an MP15ac with 18 cars eastbound through Deer Park.
  by Train2009

RS40 out of Fresh Pond this morning had a 54 car train with new repainted GATX ballast cars, power was #261 and #270 bound for Pine-Aire.

Here is a video of it, credit by YouTube user CITX_402,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-8VYSc0t5Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by gregorygrice

Train2009 wrote:RS40 out of Fresh Pond this morning had a 54 car train with new repainted GATX ballast cars, power was #261 and #270 bound for Pine-Aire.

Here is a video of it, credit by YouTube user CITX_402,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-8VYSc0t5Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by rb

Great catch!

Q: What is in those shorty, 3-bay, pressure-differential hoppers? They look cement-sized, not flour-sized.

Those new, blue GACX hoppers look great. If you had told me 20 years ago that new cars would have to be built to support the growth of freight rail on LI, I'd have laughed.
  by gregorygrice

rb wrote:Great catch!

Q: What is in those shorty, 3-bay, pressure-differential hoppers? They look cement-sized, not flour-sized.

Those new, blue GACX hoppers look great. If you had told me 20 years ago that new cars would have to be built to support the growth of freight rail on LI, I'd have laughed.
The tiny hoppers on that train hold Hydraulic Cement for a new customer that receives the cars through Brookhaven Rail Terminal. They started up a couple months ago.

The stone customer is not the only customer that has received new or refurbished cars over the past couple of years.
  by rb

Interesting, thanks!
  by rr503

It seems the last customer on the Navy Lead has gone. Tracks are paved/plated over in places. A real shame...
  by DogBert

rr503 wrote:It seems the last customer on the Navy Lead has gone. Tracks are paved/plated over in places. A real shame...
Shoot. That was always a fun one to watch. Whoever was getting boxcars of food stuff at Wheelspur also left recently. Hopefully someone new will swoop in sooner or later.