Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Backshophoss

Believe the only remaining access is off the car wash loop track,to the remains of Yard A(Sunnyside east end)
Believe the remaining access track to Arch St Team tracks,doubled as access to Arch St Shop
  by jhdeasy

Gregory Grice published his November 21st photo of LIRR P72 cars 2907 and 2933 (plus M-3 cars 9812 and 9863) mounted on intermodal flats at the Wheelspur Facility for shipment to a scrapper (Frontier Metals) in Ohio.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/638598
  by newkirk

I guess these M-3's were the pair that have been sitting at Arch St. for the longest time.

Any reason why they were retired so early ? Obviously, no collision or fire damage present.
  by onorclose7

It amazes me that they can't find a scrap dealer any closer than Ohio?
  by R36 Combine Coach

onorclose7 wrote:It amazes me that they can't find a scrap dealer any closer than Ohio?
There's Sims Metal in Newark (formerly Naporano), all of NYCT's R44s were scrapped there in 2012 followed by some older surplus cars in late 2013. NYCT and NJT have sent many retired buses there as well.
  by Backshophoss

Frontier is setup for "Haz-Mat" disposal as well,part of the MTA contract.
  by gregorygrice

The two P72s came from Riverhead some time ago and the M3 pair is the the pair that was head out on the north Arch Street Shop platform track.

NYNJ was able to acquire 2 of the gons from the LIPA equipment and will be using them as car floats reachers. Not sure if they'll paint them like they did to their other reacher recently.

onorclose7 wrote:It amazes me that they can't find a scrap dealer any closer than Ohio?
Frontier won the contract to do all of the scrapping of the unused equipment. They've already taken care of the Montauk Cut-off Bogies, All of the equipment from LIPA and now getting rid of the Arch St equipment is next. These cars have high amounts of asbestos and cannot be scrapped on site (same reason Metro North's M2/4/6s were shipped out).
  by LINYARailfan

On my way to Atlantic Terminal today 11/23 I noticed the 3100, and four SW1001s the 100, 104, 105,106(formerly leased to the NYA), and the 107. The 100, 104 and the 107 looked horrendous. I noticed the 107s number boards have been removed. Are these SW1001s going to be completely overhauled or are they next in line to be scrapped by Frontier Metals?
  by ConstanceR46

Why'd they go thru all the trouble of painting em if they were gonna be scrapped?

I hope a museum gets one.
  by gregorygrice

NYAR returned 105 and 106 in full running condition with new paint. LIRR MofE will not work on them until an outside contractor removes the small amount of asbestos in them. (Which will probably be never)
  by DogBert

LINYARailfan wrote:On my way to Atlantic Terminal today 11/23 I noticed the 3100, and four SW1001s the 100, 104, 105,106(formerly leased to the NYA), and the 107. The 100, 104 and the 107 looked horrendous. I noticed the 107s number boards have been removed. Are these SW1001s going to be completely overhauled or are they next in line to be scrapped by Frontier Metals?
I think your numbers are a little off: it's 101, 104, 105 and 107 in that dead line. 104 and 105 are bracketing the 3100. Saw these from atlantic ave. There were some MP15ac's running behind them but I didn't see the other SW's.

Might be nice to do a status list of these (probably should be it's own thread)

100 - still in use?
101 & 105 were on NY&A, repainted and returned in running condition to LIRR. Both seem to now be missing a numberboard or two.
102 & 103 - still in use?
104 - in the dead line at Morris park, orange & gray scheme
106 - Still on NY&A - not sure if it's still running though. Haven't seen around its old haunts of LIC & Bushwick in awhile. NY&A prefers to use their 2 leased gp38s or their new PR20Bs on those runs. I'm assuming it's a house mouse at Fresh Pond these days.
107 - in the dead line at Morris park, blue and gray scheme. Actually looks better than some of the MP15ACs that are still running, at least in terms of exterior paint.

I would rate the chance of any of these being saved as slim. OBRM and RMLI are always in great need of members, volunteers, funding. MTA might offering them for preservation but maintaining them is a huge challenge on these small orgs.

Back to 'what's being scrapped' - there are apparently two locomotives in the scrap contract. My guess is two of the old MPs that are maybe too far gone to even be interchanged... unless there are two DM/DEs that better fit that mold? 3100 also seems like a logical candidate for scrapping, unfortunately.
  by RGlueck

Does the 3100 still house an ALCO 244?
  by gregorygrice

DogBert wrote:
LINYARailfan wrote:On my way to Atlantic Terminal today 11/23 I noticed the 3100, and four SW1001s the 100, 104, 105,106(formerly leased to the NYA), and the 107. The 100, 104 and the 107 looked horrendous. I noticed the 107s number boards have been removed. Are these SW1001s going to be completely overhauled or are they next in line to be scrapped by Frontier Metals?
I think your numbers are a little off: it's 101, 104, 105 and 107 in that dead line. 104 and 105 are bracketing the 3100. Saw these from atlantic ave. There were some MP15ac's running behind them but I didn't see the other SW's.

100 - still in use?
101 & 105 were on NY&A, repainted and returned in running condition to LIRR. Both seem to now be missing a numberboard or two.
106 - Still on NY&A - not sure if it's still running though. Haven't seen around its old haunts of LIC & Bushwick in awhile. NY&A prefers to use their 2 leased gp38s or their new PR20Bs on those runs. I'm assuming it's a house mouse at Fresh Pond these days.
107 - in the dead line at Morris park, blue and gray scheme. Actually looks better than some of the MP15ACs that are still running, at least in terms of exterior paint.

I would rate the chance of any of these being saved as slim. OBRM and RMLI are always in great need of members, volunteers, funding. MTA might offering them for preservation but maintaining them is a huge challenge on these small orgs.

Back to 'what's being scrapped' - there are apparently two locomotives in the scrap contract. My guess is two of the old MPs that are maybe too far gone to even be interchanged... unless there are two DM/DEs that better fit that mold? 3100 also seems like a logical candidate for scrapping, unfortunately.
It's 105 and 106. The 101 is still well used by NYAR
  by Bad Luck

RGlueck wrote:Does the 3100 still house an ALCO 244?
The 3100 lost its 244 when it was still #608, prior to conversion to C-1 service (and being renumbered to 3100).
  by Uncle Cheapo

gregorygrice wrote:
DogBert wrote:

100 - still in use?

It's 105 and 106. The 101 is still well used by NYAR

And that 101 will be around for a very, very long time.