• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Teutobergerwald

Last night I saw a CSX engine running long-hood forward with what looked like a gondola, 3 to 5 tankcars, another gondola and a CABOOSE, on the trackage at the southern tip of the Bronx visible from the police parking lot on the north side of Randalls Island. Anyone know anymore about this ????
  by gregorygrice

Teutobergerwald wrote:Last night I saw a CSX engine running long-hood forward with what looked like a gondola, 3 to 5 tankcars, another gondola and a CABOOSE, on the trackage at the southern tip of the Bronx visible from the police parking lot on the north side of Randalls Island. Anyone know anymore about this ????
Daily B750 run to Burnwell in Peekskill. Godolas are spacers, caboose is for the shove back to Croton North Yard for the runaround.
  by kamerad47

Was there not a derailment on sunday in the Bronx ???? Carloads of potatoes & onions & also a diesel fuel spill ???
  by gregorygrice

kamerad47 wrote:Was there not a derailment on sunday in the Bronx ???? Carloads of potatoes & onions & also a diesel fuel spill ???
Minor derailment, 4 cars on the ground. Only hazmat was spilled diesel from the refrigerator cars.
  by ccutler

Since it was a warm day and I had time, I went for a bike ride to Oak Point Yard. I was pleased to see at least 15 box cars spotted beside the warehouses. There were also about 25 CSX orange ballast cars parked in a string in the yard. Most of the cars appeared to be repurposed 77 ton capacity covered hoppers. There is also a fair amount of construction going on in neighboring properties not directly tied to rail. The sewage transfer facility was hopping with the usual fudge container activity and aromas. The yard also contained the usual mix of traffic.
I didn't see signs of the refrigerator car-derailment but didn't look at the east end of the yard either. I would like to see CSX fix the tracks to a higher standard, if that's part of the problem, since the tracks are right next to the heavily used Amtrak Boston route.
  by Train2009

A rare Saturday Daytime Q431 was running this afternoon as it left Croton at 2 PM with #8767 leading and #8850 trailing after it got outlawed last night/early this morning. A crew van from Selkirk yard arrived at 1:40 PM to lead the train, I caught it in Marble Hill in The Bronx on Metro North's Hudson Line as it went by at 3:34 PM.
  by ccutler

While in a taxi from my super-late flight home, I saw the P&W stone train crossing Hell Gate Bridge with four 6-axle units in the front, at 3:30am.
  by gregorygrice

ccutler wrote:While in a taxi from my super-late flight home, I saw the P&W stone train crossing Hell Gate Bridge with four 6-axle units in the front, at 3:30am.
Pulling into Fresh Pond now; SD60/B40-8/B40-8W/SD60
  by ccutler

Oak Point Yard at 6:39pm. On the east end, a 4 axle switcher was trimming the yard and preparing the outbound freight to Selkerk.
Where did all the expensive environmentally friendly switchers go, that Schumer was so proud of paying for?
  by gregorygrice

CSX returned a majority of the Gensets due to their unreliability. Only a couple remain in Jersey
  by ccutler

Whow! Gensets returned for unreliability...particularly since they were very expensive engines!?
  by Teutobergerwald

Does CSX use MP-15ac's or SW-1500s in Oak Point Yard?
  by gregorygrice

Teutobergerwald wrote:Does CSX use MP-15ac's or SW-1500s in Oak Point Yard?
Nope. GP38-2s, SD40-2s and SD60Ms
  by jtunnel

Welded rail train headed to Fresh Pond at 11:40 over Queens Blvd.
  by expbusop

Mixed freight southbound at Highbridge today at 12:45. Lots of green trash cars,also some black ones. Rest of consist white reefers and box cars. Could not get engine #"s they were behind car wash building, was on Deegan.