• Mile Markers on the NEC (part 2)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by MACTRAXX

Timz and PRR60: At PHL the miles are measured from the E end of tracks at Suburban Station-Was Broad Street Station the same exact mileage? As an example mile 1 is on the girder support near the W end of the platform at 30th Street of track 6 upstairs. It is almost inconspicuous if you do not know where to look. It is just a small square sign in white with a black 1 on it. MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

by timz

MACTRAXX wrote:At PHL the miles are measured from the E end of tracks at Suburban Station-Was Broad Street Station the same exact mileage?
Offhand guess, there's maybe ... 200-300 feet difference? So did they shift all the mileposts 200-300 ft, all the way to Washington, when they opened Suburban Sta?
  by STrRedWolf

I figured I'd post a new thread instead of necroposting on an old thread.

With the work on the NEC, I'm kinda wondering what the ROW side mile markers look like? I've seen white oblisk-like with what looks like to be proper markings between Halethorpe and West Baltimore stations, but I've also seen black-on-red signs that look like they're counting up rather fast (maybe they're kilometer markers).

From what I could see out the MARC window, oblisk marker 103 is around this area and 102 is right at the Gwynn Falls bridge. Construction seems to be in this area.
  by Literalman

In Virginia we have black-on-orange or maybe black-on-red markers alongside the CSX Washington-Richmond mainline. I've heard that they mark fiber optic cable.
  by timz

For lack of a better adjective, yes, PRR mileposts were white obelisk-shape. Here's MP 46

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerl ... 558561145/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Far as I know PRR mileposts NY to Washington were all on the right side, as seen from a westward/southward train.