• New Schedule Observation - Service Cuts

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Jo24Sam

Not sure why, but on the schedule that starts March 6, 2017 (posted on mta.info) - I noticed weekend service at Lynbrook was severely cut. Normally you get hourly service to/from Long Beach AND about the same frequency of service to/from Babylon. It looks as per the new schedule that hardly any trains to/from Babylon make Lynbrook anymore. I counted only 11 combined Babylon trains (inbound and outbound) that stop at Lynbrook with the new schedule. Currently over 40 Babylon trains combined make that stop on weekends. I dont think there is any track work effecting things as I believe it was all done in 2016 in that area. Babylon local service on weekends still seems to be half hourly. Long Beach service has remained the same.
  by ADL6009

Train #3 and #6001 both lost their lynbrook stop for some reason.
  by Amtrak7

Single tracking VALLEY<->PORT on weekends for tie prep work. To try to keep running times as short as possible in the affected area and maintain half hourly service, Lynbrook stops were dropped from most trains. They'll be back in May.
  by Amtrak7

inthebag wrote:Train 551 was eliminated completely. I wonder why.
Midday single tracking LOCUST to NASSAU for retaining wall work at Roslyn Road. 550, 551 temporarily removed from the schedule.
  by mkm4

From the February TrainTalk
http://web.mta.info/lirr/TrainTalk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New Timetables Take Effect March 6
The LIRR’s new timetables, dated March 6 - May 21, include Off-Peak schedule revisions to accommodate trackwork and construction projects. On weekdays during Off-Peak hours, continuing work on the Hicksville Station Renovation Project will result in one of three station tracks being taken out of service. The construction of a new retaining wall at Roslyn Road will result in midday schedule changes and temporary cancellation of the weekday 12:08 PM train from Jamaica to Oyster Bay and the 1:35 PM train from Oyster Bay to Jamaica. On weekends, train service at Lynbrook will be reduced from half-hourly to hourly to accommodate concrete tie installation and westbound weekend Babylon Branch trains will depart up to six minutes earlier. Also on weekends, departure times for some Far Rockaway, Hempstead, Huntington and Ronkonkoma trains will be adjusted to accommodate various construction projects.