Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by newkirk

Seen near by the Atlantic Br near Boland's Landing were two SW-1001's,if I am correct were formerly used on the NY & A.

Now they are painted in LIRR orange and gray paint.

Anyone know why the repaint ?

Is it because the units were returned to the LIRR and the NY & A paint had to go ?
  by DutchRailnut

don't think the SW1001's were ever at NY&A, they were retired from Harold protect duty a few years back.
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Bad Luck

Two of the three NYA E10s were returned to the LIRR upon the arrival of the new engines, and were painted into orange/grey in Pond as part of the agreement. These were in addition to the two original orange/greys (102 & 4) which had resided on the deadline for what must be nearly 4 years now, although one of them has since made the trek up to Sheridan Shops using an external air line. LI won't touch the new arrivals as asbestos abatement is needed.
  by newkirk

Thanks, but the question remains: why would the LIRR have an agreement with the NY&A to have them painted grey/orange when being returned?

Any plans for the LIRR to use the SW1001s anymore?

Thanks in advance
  by DutchRailnut

wonder if LIRR is considering to have them rebuild with original engine, just like Metro North did with their GP35r's
rebuilding older locomotives keeps them outside the EPA regulations as they stay as build(grand fathered).
  by Uncle Cheapo

Those GP35s still have the 567s'?
  by DutchRailnut

yes they do, 567 engine frames with 645 power assemblies, only upgrade is cab's electrical/electronics and cab/atc/acses.
both trucks and engine were overhauled at altoona, engine frame, body and electrical s done at Brookville.
  by Uncle Cheapo

Not often you see a 567 on a class1. Nice, thanks Dutch!
  by BuddR32

newkirk wrote:Thanks, but the question remains: why would the LIRR have an agreement with the NY&A to have them painted grey/orange when being returned?

Any plans for the LIRR to use the SW1001s anymore?

Thanks in advance
My info was that those two engines were delivered to NYAR in that paint scheme in 1997. The lease agreement called for them to re returned as they were sent.
  by jayrmli

My info was that those two engines were delivered to NYAR in that paint scheme in 1997. The lease agreement called for them to re returned as they were sent.
They did not arrive at NYA in 1997 wearing those colors. They were the standard blue and white when leased to NYA in 1997. They were repainted in the colors they have now at the request of the lessor.
  by BuddR32

jayrmli wrote:
They did not arrive at NYA in 1997 wearing those colors. They were the standard blue and white when leased to NYA in 1997. They were repainted in the colors they have now at the request of the lessor.
Thanks for clearing it up. It's what I heard, although from someone who wasn't here in '97.
  by AlKaLI

Thanks mirrodie for the picture link.

They bring up some questions for me though. Comments and corrections are most welcome

SW-1001s #100-107 were built for the LIRR in 3/77
101, 105 and 106 were in service on the NY&A from about 5/97 to Summer 2016 when 101 and 105 were returned. Is 106 still on the NY&A?

From the 1-8-17, 101 was not repainted and is still in NY&A green. How about 105?

SW-1001
100 On LIRR, active, Silver, yellow black paint (also from 1-8-17 photo)
101 On LIRR, active, NY&A green
102 On LIRR, Dashing Dan orange/grey (on deadline in Richmond Hill?)
103 On LIRR, active?
104 On LIRR, Dashing Dan orange/grey (on deadline in Richmond Hill?)
105 On LIRR, NY&A green?
106 Still on NY&A?
107 On LIRR, active?
  by Bad Luck

The 101 was not one of the two returned by NYA..

100 - LI in service
101 - NYAR green in service (borrowed by LI for the Atlantic Term move but still NYAR)
102 - LI 1990s orange/grey, OOS Sheridan Shops
103 - LI in service
104 - LI 1990s orange/grey, OOS Morris Park/Atlantic Ave
105 - Returned to LI in new orange/grey, OOS Morris Park/Atlantic Ave
106 - Returned to LI in new orange/grey, OOS Morris Park/Atlantic Ave
107 - LI OOS Morris Park/Atlantic Ave
  by DogBert

Unless LIRR gets some replacements that can fit in the Atlantic ave tunnels (and maybe ESA?), it would be smart of them to rebuild and/or keep some of these running.