• Railroad.Net contributor LIRRMIKE passes on

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by emfinite

As information to those that may have known our former moderator here on the LIRR forum, LIRRMike (Mike Capone), he passed away yesterday from a heart attack at the age of 59.

He leaves behind his wife, three children and one beloved grandson. He is a retired LILCO employee and trains were his passion and hobby, specifically the PRR and LIRR. I met him here on RR.net close to 15 years ago and he has been a very good friend of mine. I felt the community here should know about his passing. For those interested in his funeral services and arrangements, please PM me.

He is pictured below in his favorite place, in the cab of a locomotive. He will be missed greatly by his family and friends.
  by Tadman

Sorry to hear about this. Sometimes I don't realize just how much a stranger at the other end of a long wire has contributed to my knowledge until I see something like this and realize what I've lost. Same thing happened with we lost JT in the NJT forum and the retired police officer in Boston area (can't remember his name but he was a great guy, too. Paul maybe?).
  by Backshophoss

Tadman,That was 3rd rail,aka Paul ,from the MBTA and model RR Forums.
  by Slippy

LIRR Mike was the moderator here in the early 2000's. A huge ALCO buff and loved his model trains. A class act whom will be missed. Rest In Peace Mike.
  by Head-end View

Tadman, I share your feelings about JT. He was a good friend of ours and the NJ Transit board isn't the same without him. I really didn't know LIRRMike, but my sympathy to all who considered him a good friend of ours.
  by mirrodie

RIP to Mr Capone and his family. He was too young.
  by Publius Plunkett

Emfinite I am sorry you lost your friend and my deepest sympathy to Mr. Capone's family. As time goes on, we lose more and more people that contributed over the years to this forum. Rest in Peace Mike.
  by kro52

Greetings,
I am so sorry to hear of the passing of Mike. May he rest in peace, God Bless and may he watch over his family.
KRO52
  by Ðauntless

Always fun with Mike on a trip. I wish I could have done more with him. RIP Mike.
  by charlie6017

I am sorry to hear of LIRR Mike's passing, and at such a young age. Unfortunately for me, I didn't
have the opportunity to have a lot of interaction with Mike, as our home regions and interests in
railroading were somewhat different but he sure seemed like a good guy.

My condolences go out to his family, friends and loved ones.

Charlie
  by Liquidcamphor

Goodbye Mr. Capone. I remember you from years ago. My condolences to the Capone Family.
  by Jeff Smith

He passed way too young, at only 59. Two great losses to the railroading community in just a few days; Bernard Rudberg, noted New Haven and CNE historian also has passed away.

If you'd like to sign Mr. Capone's guest book: http://www.schmittfuneralhome.com/home/ ... id/4040383" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;