• Time capsule - 1974

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by woodeen

I have been slowly working through the artifacts from my youth that I recently cleaned out of my parents home before we sold it. Yesterday I came across this time capsule that my 14 year old self squirreled away back in 1974. I vaguely remember walking along the tracks somewhere, probably Gardner MA, and finding this rolled up envelope. Kind of cool. There was a fusee and a waybill for a shipment that originated on the Milwaukee Road. The consignee was Dawley and Shepard in Westminster, which Wikipedia tells me was the old Westminster Cracker Company. I like the old computer punch card too!

http://eddiesalminen.com/1974timecapsule/index.html
  by ExCon90

That waybill is a find. Wonder how many of those freight-agency mechanical typewriters (with all-caps) are still around? And the railroad couldn't run without those round Received stamps.
  by jwhite07

Did you find it in the vicinity of an active tower or freight agency? Probably was intended to be tossed from a passing train to a local operator or agent but somehow got lost (or you found it before the intended recipient did!). The fusee included in the envelope served as a weight. I used to occasionally see commuter crews tossing company mail rubber-banded around a fusee to the block operator at Waltham Tower before it closed.