• LHR C420s Radio Equipped - How?

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

by amtk908

Greetings All:

I have been doing some research on the LHR C420s for a model that I am working on; unit 23 specifically. I have been trying to determine how the units were "radio equipped." I understand that for the cabooses, the crews were issued portable radio packs. For the C420s though, I have been researching all of the photos that I can find but can find no trace a radio antenna anywhere on the units; no skate blades or firecrackers or whips. Does anyone know if perhaps portable radio packs were issued to the engine crews, as well, or am I missing an antenna location on the C420s?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Regards,
Cliff
  by Marty Feldner

Here ya go; base-loaded whips, on top of the long hood just behind the cab roof. (A close-up from one of my shots- I got that question from Bob Mohowski a while back, and I had to really dig through my stuff to find this. The whip is really hard to spot in photos...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by amtk908

Hi Marty,

Thanks so much. Yours is the only photo that I have ever seen that shows the whip; and I've looked at quite a few. That certainly solves the mystery! Thanks again so much for having the answer and evidence!

My regards,
Cliff