• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by expbusop

Coming down Deegan this am saw 2 SD-60s lite at the North end of Highbridge shop on the link around 6:00am .When I got past Macoobs Dam Bridge I saw Q431 stretched out on link moving south, could not see power on front end. It was mostly green trash cars and some manifest freight. It seemed strange to see the two light engines following. Any ideas or thoughts?
  by gregorygrice

Lite engines behind him were Q701. If Q701 has nothing to take, they run as lite power. They also run lite to Oak Point if their train consists soley of MNR stuff that's dropped on the main north of CP35
  by ccutler

I caught the trash interchange in the South Bronx. That little critter managed to haul 18 trash cars into the facility in about 20 minutes when I wasn't looking. The photo was about 2pm on July 1.
  by ccutler

I saw the switcher finishing up at the NY Post plant with a nice cut of about 10 boxcars yesterday at 10:30. I came back on my ride around noon and the crew still hadn't open the RR crossing fences on the beautiful new bike/pedestrian trail that so many people use now to get to Randall's island. A bunch of parents with their kids were late to their games because of it, and one was calling the number posted on the sign.
  by ccutler

P&W's stone train was also in the yard. It had about 75 empty stone cars and about 14 two-bay covered hoppers.
Sorry for the long shadows, summer photography doesn't work well, particularly around midday.
  by ccutler

Oak Point Yard at 7:30am today. The transfer run from NYAR has arrived, and soon the other half will be backed into the yard.

Notably absent are any empty green trash cars, either in Oak Point Yard or at the Bronx trash transfer site. The trash facility by the Harlem River appears to be out of empty trash cars. I wonder if there is a problem with CSX operations elsewhere? Trash piling up in the summer = not good.
  by rr503

There were some yesterday at the WM facility in Maspeth, but I didn't see any in Pond.
  by rr503

Looks like the new 'M-2s have made their way down on CHFP. I guess/hope they'll be regular visitors now!
  by ccutler

I saw the Hunt's Point switcher departing Hunts Point with a crossing guard manning the first crossing. Two engines, 7 refrigerated cars, 2 flour cars, and caboose.
At 8pm, the Oak Point crews were starting to assemble the outgoing train to Selkirk.
If I can upload my pictures I will add them here. Windows 10 takes some getting used to
  by ccutler

Ok, here are the pictures
  by DogBert

Is P&W still leaving town M/W/F evenings? If so, still in that 6-8pm timeframe?
  by gregorygrice

Yup
  by Train2009

On Saturday 8/27 I saw Q431 running on the Oak Point link at 8:15 AM in the morning, at 3:00 PM in the afternoon the Fresh Pond to Oak Point transfer went over the LIRR Main Line.
  by rr503

This thread has been very quiet as of late. Are they still running to Pond daily in the AM?
  by gregorygrice

Absolutely