• Rheingold Beer - Billboard location

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by nyandw

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
nyandw wrote:I believe it is here: Flood light on 48th Ave and 11th St. and Church 49th and Vernon Blvd. Building in background is Empire State Bldg. I believe the photo is:
On Jackson Ave. between 48th Ave and 47th Rd.

R36 what do you think?
I might have pinpointed the location, based on the 1940 aerial. The likely billboard is the left (SW) of the Plaxall Building at the triangualar intersection of 48th Av, Jackson Av and 11 Street. The view appears to have shot on the south of Plaxall Building.
I think our quest is complete as we're with tens of yards of each other! :wink:
  by frankie

My two cents! I'm thinking the spot is close to the yellow "X" on the attachment. Not only is this more in alignment with the church steeples (tall & short) with the tower off to the right, but close position with the traffic to the left of the photo. The location SW of the Plaxall Building would have put the smaller of the two steeples to the left instead of the right as in the original photo.

I was going to capture ground level photos from Google Map's street view, but too many buildings blocking most of the major landmarks.

Frankie
  by frankie

nyandw wrote:Hmm.. This doesn't put the Empire State building in the haze in the right location. It would be to near or even left of the Church Steeple...
Do we know for sure that this is the Empire State building and not the Chrysler? The Empire State building may be directly behind the sign. What looks like the top of a spire through the fog directly over the smaller steeple may be it.
  by timz

No reason to think that's the Empire State Bldg near the right edge of the pic. If it is, then what are those two stacks just right of the billboard?

I'm guessing it's the Chrysler near the right edge, and the two stacks are on the Waterside power plant around 40th-41st St, visible here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136173757 ... 6/sizes/k/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In later years three Waterside stacks, but not in 1945. That pic also shows the short pyramid-roof tower NE of the church-- the pyramid is now gone.

"I believe the photo is:
On Jackson Ave. between 48th Ave and 47th Rd."

You think the light tower is closer to the camera than the church?
  by nyandw

timz wrote:You think the light tower is closer to the camera than the church?
Not sure as they both are of varying heights. You folks are correct for the Chrysler Bldg. as I know see it Image

This also brings the photo location closer to the main artery at the far left as pointed out by Frankie (nice catch) :-)
  by timz

New theory: the building near the right edge of the pic isn't the Chrysler or the ESB. Maybe the Woodstock tower, on the south side of 42nd betw 1st and 2nd Ave.

Most likely the churchspire is the one at 40.743177N 73.95376W, and I'm guessing the short tower right of it is the one at 40.74313N 73.952927W. The twin stacks were at about 40.74692N 73.97024W, betw 39th-40th St. But I can't fit that together.
  by liallegheny

The photo was taken at the point of the red arrows in the above map. The corner of 49th avenue and 21 street. The street in the foreground is 21st which if you could look to the right would be the bridge that crosses the yard lead down to the floating piers. Out of site to the left would be the 4 stacks from the Power House. I did a Google search and found almost the same picture on Ebay that has a slightly different view of the sign, showing the Power house stacks, and the bridge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1945-Long-Islan ... 0801005643" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nyle
  by frankie

This reminds me of the old game show from the '50's - Name That Tune. I can name that tune on 3 notes! Of course, the more notes, the better the chance. Thanks Nyle for the eBay photo showing the smokestacks - a vital clue (another note) missing from the original photo. I think the location is pretty much a done deal. Agree?