• NEC Power Problems?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by TAMR213

Hey everyone. Today around 3 PM while doing laundry, saw a train headed southbound on the NEC through Highland Park which was being pulled by an HHP-8, had a P42 behind it, then had something like 2 coaches, a viewliner, and a baggage car. Only a little bit later I heard on the scanner about the 40 office telling a foreman that he wanted to turn the power back on. Also heard about 2 more diesel powered trains, which were presumably Amtrak trains, as there is never any frieght on the weekends. Can anyone tell me whats up? Thanks.

by transit383

If the P42 was behind the HHP-8 then I doubt it was a catenary issue, as the P42 would have been pulling the HHP-8.

by DutchRailnut

funky thing about HHP-8 is you can operate the P42 from a HHP-8 cab.
so a train could be run dual mode this way:-)

by TAMR213

But I've never seen anything like this. Only time I've seen a P42 on the NEC is when it was on a work train around Adam's, and then alos a few summers back during the big heat wave when they had to shut down or reduce the catenary power and a P42 was pulling a train. But there was no HHP-8...

by nick11a

I actually saw a P42 operating behind and HHP-8 on the Raritan aquaduct on the NEC a month ago. It was quite a sight. I didn't see it before then and haven't seen it since.