Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Kelly&Kelly

The dispatcher claimed he made the announcements and supposes the public address system malfunctioned. The tapes will be listened to and the system checked. I don't think the Governor or president of the railroad will receive a summons, go to jail or ever hear anything about this again.

Of course all the passengers were early for the next train.
  by workextra

HAHA! That's funny and it's not. But as we all experienced at one time or another... They're early for the next one
Sometimes s**t happens just deal with it. If the PA failed, fix it, if it's over reliance of technology, don't use it.
If it's a decision maker, make the decision to replace those who can't deside.

I ask, what can the railroads do better, and there is a lot, but your still going to get the complainers.
Overall the service is not horrific, and there is a lot of trains running at the same time. So what commuter don't see is one minor delay has the potential to back up a lot of trains.

Anyone ever know what happened to the rest of the "general notice" on the first page of the rule book?
"To obtain a promotion, the need for greater responsibility must be demonstrated" ????
  by ADL6009

The crew didnt call 204 or even the block operator to request they make an announcement or change the platform signs for the the upcoming stops (after they realized what was happening)?
  by Datenail

Nothing meaningful will happen. the crew will undergo special training and learn to identify empty platforms and platforms with people standing on them. they have a mock up in hsy with mannequins representing people. The crew will have to work together as a team to communicate with each other on what to do if the platform is occupied on the wrong track. they take a 20 question writen test and practical exam. To determine if the full platform on the wrong side is not just simply people waiting for a train proceeding in the other direction, the engineer is trained to identify hand gestures from people to determine if the people are confused and desiring to board his train.
  by workextra

Date, that was funny. Why not used the excess hall zombies to represent passengers.
Anyhow, a little birdie says that Saint Andy in Albany wants every stop to "F" stops. And there indication there too would read all trains must stop if passengers are present on platform and or request stop to conductor.

You can't make this stuff up!! And probably can write a book on it
  by Head-end View

Okay so here's another question: Did the train crew actually violate any specific rules and procedures in the Rulebook? If so, I would think discipline would be called for. If no rules were violated, then they are at least guilty of poor judgement by not reporting the problem. I have heard crews in the past radio in this problem to 204, and that passengers claimed no announcements were made; 204 would insist announcements are being made, etc. On this particular issue the LIRR needs to get its act together.
  by Marge s

At one stop a blind passenger with a seeing eye dog was able to listen to the announcement, cross over and board the train.
  by Kelly&Kelly

Of course several specific rules were violated. Unfortunately discipline, like everything else on the LIRR is a political thing. The standards are very loosely and inconsistently applied.

No discipline is considered without answers to the more important questions: What craft/union is involved? Some are favored. What is the race/sexual orientation/nationality of the offender? One race gets away with anything. Females get away with some things. Who made the complaint? Again race/nationality matters. Who knows about this? Can it get in the papers?
  by 452 Card

After everything I went through over 31 years to make the system run (in old school, which worked well by the way), all of the latest posts here make me want to puke. There is no more accountability as far as I can determine.
  by Head-end View

Hmmm.........That doesn't exactly inspire my confidence as as a rider.
  by 452 Card

This thread is dead, Let's move on. The idea was stupid from the onset.