Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Kelly&Kelly

Unlike the dozens of "fare strikes" in the past, this one hasn't even gotten off the ground. It's defunct.

But on Tuesday, a handful of passengers will announce "I'm not showing you my monthly ticket because my train was late last week". The trainman will say "I'll be right back," continue along in collecting tickets and that will be the end of it.

Great plan.
  by LirrEngr

My bad, totally forgot about the leap year!

Couldn't agree more...there seems to be a real sense of entitlement that a ticket Buys along with "my train is the only one on the tracks" mentality that Some customers And I am by no means generalizing the riding public with that statement just the few I have spoken to or dealt with.

That's being said, there are plenty of front line employees empathetic to a commuters disappointment at times with delays and cancellations when all you want to do is get home or in to work on time because employee or not we just want to do our job (safely) and go home to family (or pets lol)
  by ADL6009

Kelly&Kelly wrote:Unlike the dozens of "fare strikes" in the past, this one hasn't even gotten off the ground. It's defunct.

But on Tuesday, a handful of passengers will announce "I'm not showing you my monthly ticket because my train was late last week". The trainman will say "I'll be right back," continue along in collecting tickets and that will be the end of it.

Great plan.

Idk the new employees are quite used to calling the police. Management puts the fear of God in them if they they dont collect EVERY fare they could be fired.
  by pparalikia

SwingMan wrote:It's just something else for the people to question. I don't know why it cannot just be accepted?

If I was in charge of things from the PR side, I would coordinate something like a hurricane chart for delays and cancellations. Cat 1, Cat 2, etc. In the different categories the railroad would list pre-determined cancellations/combos so that way when something happens. That way instead of being spammed by alert after alert, they post which category level it will be. It would then be up to the riding public to know each category and hopefully with time people can plan accordingly to it based on knowledge learned from each incident (heck, someone could do that with all that info already). They did something like this after they restored weekday service after Hurricane Sandy. Why not suggest that to upper management or Cuomo? Instead of trying to fix something you can't fix, find a way to make communication better. Simple, little cost to do. Heck, to save money maybe some loyal commuters could put it together! It's all out there!
Delays can't "just be accepted" because delays have real and severe impacts on customer's lives. They are late to work, they lose out on money, they don't get to see their kids before bed, etc.

If you walked into a bank to withdraw money and they said $1000 of you balance had disappeared would you "just accept it" or would you want to know why?
Then how would you react if they lied to your face??
  by pparalikia

Marge s wrote:The best way to deal with spoiled children is to say " sit down and shut up ". For years the " wench" tried to coddle and appease and it got her fired.
I suggest the MTA, in an authoritative way issue a statement of " The train is late now sit down and shut up"
And people on this forum wonder why passengers are so unhappy?? Look no further ... Treat customers like trash, get treated like trash. Should be no surprise ...
  by NYCrails

pparalikia wrote:
Marge s wrote:The best way to deal with spoiled children is to say " sit down and shut up ". For years the " wench" tried to coddle and appease and it got her fired.
I suggest the MTA, in an authoritative way issue a statement of " The train is late now sit down and shut up"
And people on this forum wonder why passengers are so unhappy?? Look no further ... Treat customers like trash, get treated like trash. Should be no surprise ...
Sorry to say but most people are unhappy regardless of the service.
  by Commuter X

As usual, I did not see a collector this morning. My March ticket will remain unpunched

#WhyDoIBuyAMonthlyTicket
  by KT3

While the threatened March 1 fare strike may not have amounted to much (everyone on my train this morning dutifully had their March monthly punched) it does appear that there is a perceptible increase in the belief among many people that something has gone very wrong at the LIRR in terms of not just the quality of service but the actual value of that service. When New Jersey Transit starts to be more reliable than the LIRR then you know something has gone wrong at the LIRR. Something appears to be very off track (pun intended) at the railroad.

Unfortunately, the remarks of many on this forum show that despite data proving otherwise, those at the LIRR are still sticking their heads in the sand regarding the mounting problems the railroad faces.
  by Morisot

(I do NOT and never have worked for the railroad)

I like to take the LIRR into the city. It's quick. And at least 90 percent of the time it has been on time. I can do something else for the 40 minute ride-time: nap, read, sight-see, study, listen to music, play a computer game. I've seen other people put on make-up, cut their finger and toe nails, knit, talk on their phones, eat. And, considering the number of people it moves, it's relatively clean and comfortable. I've tried driving into the city and 90 percent of the time it was awful traffic/traffic jams/accidents, no place/expensive to park; it is impossible to budget travel time.
Last edited by Morisot on Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Marge s

Take a pill i was just kidding!!
  by ADL6009

That was some fare strike, very impressive. The RR really got the message, way to band together lol.
  by Datenail

Commuter x message me with the train information you were travelling on.
  by Kelly&Kelly

A conductor, engineer and assistant conductor are being relieved this afternoon. Their train was running reverse (against traffic). They blocked the crossing at each station and left without the passengers who were awaiting on the regular side trying to get across. They did this at no less than four stations, stranding about 350 people late morning. Apparently no announcements were made.

Irate customers called the governor's office and the MTA Chairman instructed MTA Human Resources take some action, which they did through the railroad. Newsday has also been calling the president's office looking for a statement.
  by Head-end View

Well, my first question would be: "Why were no announcements re: the track change made on the platforms?" If that failure had not occurred, the other problem would not have happened either. So this apparently began with a management failure, no? K & K, is anyone being held accountable for that part of this mess?
  by workextra

Providing the above incident is based on fact and those passengers were left standing on the opposite side and crew relieved.
I surely home the management involved be brought up and criminal negligence charges for promoting passengers to run around lowered railroad gates.
Those same figures of authority also and likely unaware of platform capacities and associated restrictions.
At the bare minimum, those authoritative figures, including our great govonor, and other involved official should be. Handed out mandatory appearance summons for running around the crossing gate.

Let them pay for the crime they tell the public to commit.
not all stations will the gates go up on at least one side.
Perfect example is 12 cars West at NHP, is "Head 10 cars" all crossings fouled next to the station and most likely to be used by passengers.

Kinda find this funny? Can someone post the facts of what happens. It's the LIRR best case is there's always a "next one" depending how long you want to wait.