• MOM Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by kilroy

Doesn't matter if the trains come on at Monmouth Jct or Rahway off the NY&LB, you end up on the NEC eiterh way. And where are you going to find slots into NYC? Without new tunnels, what's the point of bringing MOM on-line? Change at Newark? That won't get you the rider counts you want.
  by ApproachMedium

I think people fail to understand with how much drive there is coming from the lower towns of monmouth and upper part of ocean county regardless of how this train GETS to the NEC people will ride it. You do need to remember not everyone works in NYC. There are plenty of people in monmouth and ocean county that work in New Brunswick and Edison areas, which if the train went via the Monmouth Jct route would be a direct service too.

This state lacks some serious intrastate commuter service for those who dont go the interstate route to NYC or philly.
  by Hawaiitiki

ApproachMedium wrote:I think people fail to understand with how much drive there is coming from the lower towns of monmouth and upper part of ocean county regardless of how this train GETS to the NEC people will ride it. You do need to remember not everyone works in NYC. There are plenty of people in monmouth and ocean county that work in New Brunswick and Edison areas, which if the train went via the Monmouth Jct route would be a direct service too.

This state lacks some serious intrastate commuter service for those who dont go the interstate route to NYC or philly.
Service to Hoboken Terminal is quite good serving the growing Office Centers in Hoboken and Jersey City would be the only exception. But I wholeheartedly agree that in this time of no more slots into NYC for at least ten years, lets hope they can get the Northern Branch to Englewood and get at least one more intrastate project with shovels in the ground.
  by acela314

MOM service to Hoboken wouldn't be that bad of an idea. Would a branch line service work (with transfers at Red Bank or Monmouth Junctions or South Amboy)? It appears to be cheaper and will still serve the region.
  by Hawaiitiki

ApproachMedium wrote:I think people fail to understand with how much drive there is coming from the lower towns of monmouth and upper part of ocean county regardless of how this train GETS to the NEC people will ride it. You do need to remember not everyone works in NYC. There are plenty of people in monmouth and ocean county that work in New Brunswick and Edison areas, which if the train went via the Monmouth Jct route would be a direct service too.

The believe the issue with that idea is that connection from the NEC to Hoboken(Waterfront) is only single track and is at capacity during rush hours. A second waterfront connection was on NJT's most recent dream list. But one only needs to look at the attached map to see how few things "dreamt of" come to fruition.

http://www.nj-arp.org/Assets/miscellane ... %20map.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by time

Any news on this? The discussion about the Cutoff and Phillipsburg reminded me about this project, and it seems like this one would serve many more people than the other two combined (going by population density).
  by keyboardkat

At present the Conrail Shared Assets runs one freight train a week in each direction. They serve just one customer, a lumberyard in south lakewood. The train usually consists of a GP-38 and six or seven frame lumber cars. It blows for the crossings like you'd think it's the 20th Century Limited barreling down the line. But it actually moves at about 10 mph, partly because of the crossings, and partly due to the condition of the track and the wooden trestles. And more and more housing developments are encroaching on the right of way. If they ever announce restoration of passenger service, these people will scream real loud. Well, I'm sorry, guys, but the railroad was here first. When you see a track, think "train."
  by braves

Has anyone heard or is anything happening on the MOM rail project.

How could this effect Amtrak Northeast Corridor improvements if MOM is ever implemented.
  by amtrakhogger

No disrespect intended, MOM is D.O.A. No money and too many NIMBY's.
  by njtmnrrbuff

MOM will not be happening anytime soon, if it ever does. NJT has enough capacity issues, especially into and out of NYC. I am not too surprised about the number of NIMBYs living along the proposed routes. The route from Monmouth Jct to Lakewood and Lakehurst would probably take a long time. NJT runs it's busiest commuter bus corridor along Rt. 9 as far as Lakewood: many people living along that route use the bus for travel to and from the city. On the railroad side, for those people who live in Freehold who want to travel by train to the city, taking Rt. 9 to the Pkwy with little or no traffic could bring you to Metropark in about 30 minutes. Trust me, plenty of people who live in Monmouth County, especially along the south end of the coastline will drive north to Metropark for train service.
  by ApproachMedium

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:MOM will not be happening anytime soon, if it ever does. NJT has enough capacity issues, especially into and out of NYC. I am not too surprised about the number of NIMBYs living along the proposed routes. The route from Monmouth Jct to Lakewood and Lakehurst would probably take a long time. NJT runs it's busiest commuter bus corridor along Rt. 9 as far as Lakewood: many people living along that route use the bus for travel to and from the city. On the railroad side, for those people who live in Freehold who want to travel by train to the city, taking Rt. 9 to the Pkwy with little or no traffic could bring you to Metropark in about 30 minutes. Trust me, plenty of people who live in Monmouth County, especially along the south end of the coastline will drive north to Metropark for train service.
LOL you never tried to drive up route 9 in rush hour traffic have you.
  by mtuandrew

ApproachMedium wrote:LOL you never tried to drive up route 9 in rush hour traffic have you.
Or beach traffic :P US 9, NJ 18, NJ 33, the Parkway - they're all hideous.
  by braves

Could the MOM be revived with the proposed Mid Line Loop just south of the proposed North Brunswick station if the Monmouth Junction route was selected?
  by 35dtmrs92

It could make MOM more doable in the future, in that the loop could double as a flyover for Lakehurst-bound trains, but the real bottleneck is at the Hudson River.
  by ApproachMedium

The stuff to new brunswick will get done, the plans and stuff are already set forth, however it appears in any recent renderings i have seen that the loop is eliminated.

I cant see the purpose at all of a loop for trains that are 100% push pull. Maybe build a Wye off the Milstone running track to turn trains if there is a control car issue but other than that, its a huge waste of time and money.