• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by wintower

Yesterday, at 1:20p. noticed CSX train southbound over the mainline of the L.I.R.R. with 2 engines and 77 cars.
  by wintower

At 7:05p. noticed the P&W train northbound over the mainline of the L.I.R.R. with 3 engines and 42 cars.
  by AlKaLI

Finally caught one after several months of not seeing anything. CSXT NB over the LIRR main at 7:00 AM heading for Oak Point. Hard to see through the foliage now but 2 engines, looked liked SDs in the lead. First out cars were a mix of empty CB flats and boxcars including TBOX cars.
  by rr503

Total pipe dream, but how much more traffic would CSX need before they would run a 2nd manifest from OP to SE (and reverse)?
  by wintower

At 6:15p. noticed the P&W train stopped on tracks over the mainline of the L.I.R.R.
  by Backshophoss

It would be a tough sell to get MN to allow a 2nd road freight to Oak Point and back to Selkirk,after last year's Trash train
derailment near DV(even if it was MN's track condition at fault),believe if there was another Trash problem on Long Island
like last year,a 2nd Trash train would be needed
  by ccutler

I would imagine there is still plenty of late-nighttime capacity, but CSX would face added pressure to run their trains consistently on time to make it work.
  by gregorygrice

ccutler wrote:I would imagine there is still plenty of late-nighttime capacity, but CSX would face added pressure to run their trains consistently on time to make it work.
And that barely happens on MNR territory. It's a combination of both RRs. There have been times when B750 was based out of Croton West, where MNR RTC (District D) wouldve even answer them when they called.
  by ccutler

Oh nice! Isn't that a sort of safety violation, dispatchers refusing to answer phone calls?
  by gregorygrice

ccutler wrote:Oh nice! Isn't that a sort of safety violation, dispatchers refusing to answer phone calls?
Radio calls. I recall one time B750 sitting at the signal at CP35 for almost 2 hours. They called and called and got no reply from RTC for about an hour and then after had to wait another hour. BUT RTC answered other trains lol.

Keep in mind the Hudson Line has the least ridership and far less trains than the other two lines especially after peak hour.
  by rr503

gregorygrice wrote:
ccutler wrote:I would imagine there is still plenty of late-nighttime capacity, but CSX would face added pressure to run their trains consistently on time to make it work.
And that barely happens on MNR territory. It's a combination of both RRs. There have been times when B750 was based out of Croton West, where MNR RTC (District D) wouldve even answer them when they called.
Yikes!
When the WM facility in LIC opens, will the cars be added to the unit trash train out of OP?
Also, in other places in this forum, I've been hearing things about another rail served NYC dump opening in upstate N.Y. Will the cars going there be split off of current trains or will we get a new run? :-D
  by Backshophoss

If you miss your "slot",your SOL for getting over the road,that's a given of sorts.
Selkirk is known to misroute cars and not get trains ready on time,so CSX is barely able
to make Croton west yard,before the crew goes "dead on the law".
  by AMK0123

Backshophoss wrote:If you miss your "slot",your SOL for getting over the road,that's a given of sorts.
Selkirk is known to misroute cars and not get trains ready on time,so CSX is barely able
to make Croton west yard,before the crew goes "dead on the law".
As you stated, Selkirk is known to misroute cars, however after traveling there lately and seeing in other forums, Selkirk yard is most of the time at or over capacity, (primarily due to a lack of crews and unit trains having to tie down). I've heard numerous times over the last few months that the Q-702 was late getting up the river line and either they had no time to either pull into the yard and change power or start east and place it over on the Castleton Sub. There's also been times were they have to leave the train on the river line near CP-SK and then issues become, is the one crew qualified over on one area and not the other. I agree both railroads would have to step up there game to make it work and I do believe as previously stated that if you see a second of anything, it'll be another trash train.
  by ccutler

Happy to hear of quality management in eastern NYS railroading :(

Oak Point Yard 11am today...plenty of black containers smelling of sewage sludge.
  by expbusop

Caught Q431 between Fordham and Morris Heights 5:50am lots of reefers and block of black trash cars. Could not get clear look at power due to foliage between Deegan and tracks. 8849 was 2nd unit could not get numbers on rest of units.It looked like 3 SD-40-2's. Deadheading over Willis Ave Bridge saw B749. 2 GP38's 3 box cars, 3 propane tankers,and caboose NB. pretty good for one day. Picture from ccutler shows reefers and trash cars , I guess they are from Q431.