• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by johnpbarlow

Perhaps there's a remote possibility that NS acquisition of D&H South lines from Binghamton to Schenectady/New England/Montreal in mid-15' might lead to new traffic along the Delaware River? Having said that, per NYS&W's letter to the STB in support of NS' acquisition of D&H South lines, there is currently very little CP interchange with NYS&W/CNY. But CP may be disinterested in such traffic at this point. NS, who may have more interest in building traffic through Binghamton, currently doesn't have much yard capacity there and acquisition of CP's Binghamton yard might provide more routing options for NYS&W/CNY interchange. Wishful thinking anyway....
  by SecaucusJunction

Good article here about hopes for Buffalo, NY becoming a big shipping location again. NS had mentioned this in the past as an area they'd like to get into. Might be a long shot, but thats all we have right now...

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news ... falos.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by markyk

Can anyone confirm the existence of some light blue spine cars on the siding at SR?

New Garbage Traffic from NYC via barge to Jersey City, to Covanta in Niagara Falls NY

Not sure how its getting there yet..
  by SecaucusJunction

Right now, the cars are just being stored. The Covanta facility is right off the CSX line so you'd figure they'd have the contract.

There is yet another facility opening around Rochester as well as a possible landfill off the Finger Lakes. NYC is finally getting serious about shipping garbage by rail... And they have a lot of it.
  by pumpers

SecaucusJunction wrote:Right now, the cars are just being stored. The Covanta facility is right off the CSX line so you'd figure they'd have the contract.

There is yet another facility opening around Rochester as well as a possible landfill off the Finger Lakes. NYC is finally getting serious about shipping garbage by rail... And they have a lot of it.
There were some rumors a few weeks ago on the NYSW/Susquehanna Yahoo boards about NYSW getting a big new garbage contract from CSX, IIRC. Maybe the River line is too busy with oil and other high-value traffic to run garbage on, so they are lettting NYSW take the garbage to Syracuse to hand back to CSX to take to Niagara, Rochester etc. Just speculating, I confess. JS
  by markyk

There were some rumors a few weeks ago on the NYSW/Susquehanna Yahoo boards about NYSW getting a big new garbage contract from CSX, IIRC. Maybe the River line is too busy with oil and other high-value traffic to run garbage on, so they are lettting NYSW take the garbage to Syracuse to hand back to CSX to take to Niagara, Rochester etc. Just speculating, I confess. JS[/quote]

If it means any new traffic for the Tier, sign me up, ill be happy to witness the equipment move to Honesdale
  by northjerseybuff

i doubt we will see any new traffic in the near future
  by chief

2 csx trash trains ran on the NYS&W Friday and Saturday 3/227 & 3/28
  by SteelRail

chief wrote:2 csx trash trains ran on the NYS&W Friday and Saturday 3/227 & 3/28
What was the reason for this detour?
  by waldwickrailfan

SteelRail wrote:
chief wrote:2 csx trash trains ran on the NYS&W Friday and Saturday 3/227 & 3/28
What was the reason for this detour?
Congestion in Selkirk, and lack of crews to move trains on the River Line
  by SecaucusJunction

Monster ballast train came south yesterday from Syracuse. 5 units pulling hard. Not sure where it will be working.

Rumors of major track work east of Binghamton this year.

State money is also involved. Stay tuned!
  by pumpers

SecaucusJunction wrote:Monster ballast train came south yesterday from Syracuse. 5 units pulling hard. Not sure where it will be working.

Rumors of major track work east of Binghamton this year.

State money is also involved. Stay tuned!
As I post every few years, hope springs eternal, as they say. Jim S
  by northjerseybuff

I would like to hope this means more trains, but state funds for upgrades doesn't necessarily mean NS will use the line. Now with the NS taking over the D&H maybe something is in the works..but again we've heard this many many times before. My fav was the crews toying with railfans..remember the 12T/13T rumors?
  by chief

BH-1 working between Tower Rd. and Nobodys yesterday and today 20 full stone cars