• Avon CT railcar

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Plate C

Wondering if anyone will remember this as I can't find it referenced anywhere. I seem to recall years ago that there was a small piece of track with a hopper on it in Avon, CT back off Rt44. The track (I think) was just enough to hold the hopper, pretty sure it was at some business and all other track around it had been torn up. Don't know if they were keeping it to remember the RR or just didn't want to pay for the removal. I think it was close to the old RR track that's still there off 44. Anyone remember this? Anyone have a pic of this? History? Thanks.
  by Engineer Spike

I don't remember this. I do remember when the Route 44 crossing was in. Wasn't there someone with a caboose in their yard along Route 10, in Simsbury? It couldn't have been too far north of the Avon line. One could see the Heublein tower from that area.
  by Plate C

The old station, which was One Way Fare, now Plan B, has an old caboose and engine there. There is also a Maine Central caboose at a business not far off Rt 10 in that area.

But yeah, this hopper was there in Avon, right hand side off of 44 if you're coming from Canton. No idea how I found it before, it wasn't visible from 44.