• CMSL service Rio Grande to Cape May

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by EDM5970

I've only see one broken flange in my lifetime, and that was on a cast iron tender truck wheel on a steam locomotive, 40 plus years ago. Cast iron wheels are, of course, outlawed now. I have seen plenty of sharp flanges, thin rims, hollow treads, flat spots, and welded wheels, though. Maybe my next job should be as an FRA MP&E inspector...
  by glennk419

Trainlawyer wrote:Glenn,

Back off a little and please do your homework. To quote my learned colleague, Sirsonic, "Proven Theory #2 - If you don't work for the railroad, you don't know more than the people who do, no matter how many years you've hung around the tracks, or how well you think you understand railroading."

1. The reason for the Flange Thickness standard is due to the increased likelihood of of a thin flange picking the point of a switch, not the extremely miniscule likelihood that an otherwise sound wheel will suffer a catastrophic failure when the point 3/8ths of an inch from the tread is at 7/8ths of an inch (112/128ths) in thickness instead of 113/128ths of an inch.

2. The FRA Standards allow a locomotive to be used in switching service which might not pass muster for road service. I suggest that you read the relevant sections of the FRA's MP&E Compliance Manual to understand how this works.

3. Yes we know that CR has been delivering storage cars to CMSL for some time. CMSL uses the main north of the tower and the Ocean City side of the station for headroom while switching. The trackage rights agreement with CR and NJT which allows CMSL the use of the Beesleys Point Line between Tuckahoe, Richland and Winslow does not allow CMSL to operate freight service on the line. The switching incidental to Conrail's delivery or pickup of the storage cars is not 'Freight Service' within the meaning of the Trackage Rights Agreement or the FRA rules (or for that matter the Surface Transportation Board definitions). If the locomotive meets the standards for switching service all well and good but Bystander is correct. There is no reason for Conrail to approve any of the locomotives at CMSl to operate in 'Freight Service' on the Beesleys since CMSL does not have the right to operate it.

Be very careful who you say doesn't have a clue.

GME
My apology for the choice of words. I suppose the "Conrail doesn't care" sent me down the wrong track, especially when I was a little tired. There was no malicious intent in my post.

May I now return from the wood pile? :wink:
  by dlagrua

The CMSL Service Rio Grande to Cape May is the title of this thread so lets get it back on topic and present relevant information. My contention is that the railroad does not have the money to fix the damaged 1 mile section of track ( from the vandalism) that would allow the trains to move from Tuckahoe to Rio Grande for Cape May service to resume anytime soon. The only way that I see trains on this route again is if NJT steps in and rebuilds the track (which could be done in one or two days) but this is an unlikely scenario. For all intensive purposes we can consider this route out of service. I will keep hoping for a miracle!
  by bluedash2

For all intents and purposes, they're a car storage operation that runs Santa trains in December...that's it
  by glennk419

bluedash2 wrote:For all intents and purposes, they're a car storage operation that runs Santa trains in December...that's it
Tony is doing what he has to do to keep the whole darn thing from becoming another stinking bike path.
  by David

dlagrua wrote:The CMSL Service Rio Grande to Cape May is the title of this thread so lets get it back on topic and present relevant information.!

Yes, I agree here.
  by bluedash2

glennk419 wrote:
bluedash2 wrote:For all intents and purposes, they're a car storage operation that runs Santa trains in December...that's it
Tony is doing what he has to do to keep the whole darn thing from becoming another stinking bike path.
Problem is he doesn't have the money, no one else is interested in this line and the part below Woodbine is wasting away to the point where it may as well be another bike path.
  by northjerseybuff

CMSL is a joke!
  by glennk419

northjerseybuff wrote:CMSL is a joke!
Some opinions are best kept to themselves.
  by bluedash2

Meghan wrote:From the Cape May County Herald:
http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/arti ... +crossings
Its very hard to argue with the newspaper's use of the word 'defunct' when there has been no operation on the Lower Cape in more than three years.

Note to Bluedash2: There has actually been quite a bit of interest. The problem is that Tony seems to have chased away several investors, including the River and Bay Authority.

:( Meghan
Elaborate?? It's well known no one wants that line as an operator. Not talking about investors.
  by bluedash2

glennk419 wrote:
northjerseybuff wrote:CMSL is a joke!
Some opinions are best kept to themselves.
Glenn- a LOT of people are frustrated and I believe there is more to the story than what we all know.
  by bystander

Are they running Easter trains this year? Ive seene adds for Strasburgh and Nuagatuck online all ready.. I couldn't get a ride down to Tuckahoe last year, and missed it.
  by glennk419

bystander wrote:Are they running Easter trains this year? Ive seene adds for Strasburgh and Nuagatuck online all ready.. I couldn't get a ride down to Tuckahoe last year, and missed it.
There's nothing on the website or Facebook page so I would say it's doubtful.
  by northjerseybuff

Let someone like the NH&I or another tourist group run the CMSL. The lack of communication and updates EVERY year is poor at best. It's not just my opinion, but it's widely known in some railroad groups, the CMSL is a lost cause. Every year I keep hope alive only to be disappointed. It's time to let someone who knows how to run a railroad step in, or Tony needs to address, why the Cape May SEASHORE lines, doesn't operate to the SEASHORE from Memorial Day to Labor Day on weekends!
  by scottso699

northjerseybuff wrote:Let someone like the NH&I or another tourist group run the CMSL. The lack of communication and updates EVERY year is poor at best. It's not just my opinion, but it's widely known in some railroad groups, the CMSL is a lost cause. Every year I keep hope alive only to be disappointed. It's time to let someone who knows how to run a railroad step in, or Tony needs to address, why the Cape May SEASHORE lines, doesn't operate to the SEASHORE from Memorial Day to Labor Day on weekends!
Agreed... I have been waiting for years for the train to return to Cape May on a regular basis as my wife and I regularly vacation down there. I am moving to North Carolina in June and it seems unfortunately I will now never get to ride those rails. So Sad...