• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by northjerseybuff

Sounds like a major wreck occurred near Altoona. Any reason why NS doesn't keep a group of guys qualified in case of emergencies to run the Southern tier?? Even CR saw the importance of having this line as a backup route
  by charlie6017

northjerseybuff wrote:Sounds like a major wreck occurred near Altoona. Any reason why NS doesn't keep a group of guys qualified in case of emergencies to run the Southern tier?? Even CR saw the importance of having this line as a backup route
For what it's worth, I just got an email from the "TierSightings Yahoo Group" that implies the east end will see at least one detour (seen below)
A 21M is marked for 0200 and 0400. That should put them here in Binghamton some time around 6an and 8am, the 21M is a Croxton to Chicago Intermodal. It will be handed over to the CNYK at Sparrowbush, NY, and head for Binghamton.
Charlie
  by northjerseybuff

However, the move was cancelled since that initial post
  by charlie6017

northjerseybuff wrote:However, the move was cancelled since that initial post
Thanks......well--I tried! :-)
  by northjerseybuff

There were detours that came up north on the D&H and went west...I thought Portageville trestle couldn't handle the weight of more trains?? guess that rumor went out the window
  by Matt Langworthy

northjerseybuff wrote:There were detours that came up north on the D&H and went west...I thought Portageville trestle couldn't handle the weight of more trains?? guess that rumor went out the window
The weight restriction on the Portageville viaduct is based on the weight of individual freight cars, rather than the frequency of trains. NS does run intermodal and unit trains across the bridge.
  by northjerseybuff

NS ran at least 1 detour train over CSX. I still can't understand why they don't use the east end for detours. SMH
  by SecaucusJunction

Lack of manpower on both sides of Binghamton.
  by northjerseybuff

it will soon be 2015. No news on trains coming to the east end. no more detours either.
  by northjerseybuff

Well NS will be getting the D&H. All rumors dead. No hope for the east end? or anything happening behind the scenes? CSX is having issues all across NYS. Why isn't NYSW/CNY getting any additional traffic?
  by Steve F45

I want to know what happeend to NYSW trying to work out a deal to take some traffic from CSX when they were doing all those detours at the end of summer. Would've helped CSX with capacity problems and given NYSW some cash and railfans some more trains to watch.
  by SecaucusJunction

Even with the congestion on the River Line, they can generally make better time than running via the NYSW. No question that CSX is still a mess, but they don't seem interested in running permanently via the NYSW and NYSW isn't going to hire more people unless they do.

The only real hope for the line is if NS needs more capacity to NJ or wants to run trains from NJ to Canada or the Northeast. The D&H deal could help that prospect. Things can't get much worse for the line so there's nowhere to go but up.
  by northjerseybuff

welcome to 2015. How is everyone on the east end? cold?
  by SecaucusJunction

Look at the bright side... 2015 can't be any worse than 2014...
  by DutchRailnut

or 2013 or 2012 or 2011 or 2010 etc.