• AEM7 Disposition (and other motors - HHP8)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ApproachMedium

651 is also still floating around, Southbound on train 175 today. 660, 661 has been removed officially. So that leaves us with two known working HHPs.
  by ACeInTheHole

ApproachMedium wrote:651 is also still floating around, Southbound on train 175 today. 660, 661 has been removed officially. So that leaves us with two known working HHPs.
Someone said 654 was seen Sunday? Or..?
  by ApproachMedium

ACeInTheHole wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:651 is also still floating around, Southbound on train 175 today. 660, 661 has been removed officially. So that leaves us with two known working HHPs.
Someone said 654 was seen Sunday? Or..?
They probably saw it being transported to DC to have the main transformer fan replaced. If thats actually going to happen or not I have no idea.
  by Backshophoss

AM: can Amtrak swipe parts off the dead Hippos to keep the last 2(or 3)Hippos running?
or is the deal return them to BBD intact?
  by ApproachMedium

Backshophoss wrote:AM: can Amtrak swipe parts off the dead Hippos to keep the last 2(or 3)Hippos running?
Parts can be taken off the dead units to keep the live units running, but when units are returned they must have all parts complete and intact, they do not have to be working they just have to be there. Before they are decommissioned they have to be checked to make sure everything is there.

Should be 6 remans to septa but again I could be wrong.
  by ThirdRail7

ApproachMedium wrote:I think you mean 3 DC motors. The 902, 951 and 952 are all out of the picture now. 908 could possibly make it in the body of another engine (901 maybe), if they want to put that kind of labor in to it but I doubt that will happen.
I always forget about the 951. 953 is on the ropes at this point, so we'll keep an eye on it.
ApproachMedium wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:AM: can Amtrak swipe parts off the dead Hippos to keep the last 2(or 3)Hippos running?
Parts can be taken off the dead units to keep the live units running, but when units are returned they must have all parts complete and intact, they do not have to be working they just have to be there. Before they are decommissioned they have to be checked to make sure everything is there.

Should be 6 remans to septa but again I could be wrong.
Oh really? I thought they had to be fully operational. If what you say is true, that should help things.

Speaking of remans, they may be around a little longer than anticipated as the ACSs do battle with the cab cars. We'll see.
  by Rahway-valley-Alex

ThirdRail7 wrote:
Speaking of remans, they may be around a little longer than anticipated as the ACSs do battle with the cab cars. We'll see.
This seams so obvious from my point of view so I must be missing something. Why wouldn't amtrak ask for push pull as a capability straight from the factory? All the transit agency's do.
  by ThirdRail7

Rahway-valley-Alex wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
This seams so obvious from my point of view so I must be missing something. Why wouldn't amtrak ask for push pull as a capability straight from the factory? All the transit agency's do.

They are push pull equipped. So were the HHP-8s. It's a matter of mixing a new engine with new technology with a cab car from the 1960's. Sometimes, it is a struggle. :wink:
  by BuddSilverliner269

ThirdRail7 wrote:
Rahway-valley-Alex wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:

They are push pull equipped. So were the HHP-8s. It's a matter of mixing a new engine with new technology with a cab car from the 1960's. Sometimes, it is a struggle. :wink:
Except half the cab cars were rebuilt to make them compatible with the new motors and guess what, still not completely compatible. These things happen, and they are focused on working on the other issues of these new engines before worrying about getting them to work with the cab cars. Its always been understood that the 64s will see service on the keystone line last and we knew that for awhile
  by ApproachMedium

Looks like the 654 was given another chance. Spotted it on 151 today and returned on train 20.
  by ApproachMedium

The same 3 are still floating out there. And the 931 is a scumbag motor.
  by ACeInTheHole

ApproachMedium wrote:The same 3 are still floating out there. And the 931 is a scumbag motor.
The other scumbag, the 932, was leading 184 with 937s help today