• Old Station / Yard Access In Jamaica?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by interface76

So, while I usually will take the NYC subway to work in Jamaica (from Forest Hills), once in a while I need to drive to the office. Long story short, the best way there from my block involves cutting down 130th Street over to Atlantic Ave (which eventually feeds our industrial park). When going south on 130th, right before Atlantic, you have to drive through a lengthy tunnel (going under the western portion of the Morris Park yards where the Atlantic Branch tracks meet it).

I noticed the few times that I've done this drive that there are:

- A fenced off staircase on the eastern side of the street at the southern mouth of the tunnel, that leads up to track level.
- Inside the tunnel, at most about 100 feet away from the southern mouth, is another fenced off staircase that leads up, complete with daylight visible.

Both sets of concrete steps are very weathered and covered with debris. I'd estimate at least 4 tracks worth of space (if not more) between these openings. Sadly due to the tight traffic patterns on 130th leading into the Atlantic Ave stoplight, it's been hard for me to take even a momentary phone camera shot of either one so far.

Anyone have any idea what these were there for? At first I remembered something about Westhaven station, but my research shows that was on the Main Line shortly west of Morris Park (closing in the 30's). If anything, it'd have to be an old Atlantic Branch station. But, nothing turns up.

Any idea when the yards were elevated? And/or when this 130th Street tunnel was built? And therefore, what these staircases are?
  by Sigz

NYANDW's photo shows the other end of the stair case. It's ust east of the small shack. That's Dunton tower in the foreground.

The stairs provided access to Dunton tower and the "track shanty", which is now replaced by the Dunton Signal CIL.

The stairs have not been used in some time now... Trash blows into the stairwell and accumulates, there's much easier ways for employees to access the signal locations and yard without wading through piles of trash.

Sigz
  by LongIslandTool

Those stairs served more than the tower. There was a passenger station at Dunton, and the staircases provided access to each platform on both outside tracks of the Atlantic Branch.

The station at this location opened before WWI, when the tower was built and closed (along with several other stations on the branch) when the Atlantic Avenue Improvement opened in the winter of 1939.
  by Crabman1130

fsc50 wrote:HELLO, It sounds like you found the old Woodhaven station. Fsc
Was there more than one Woodhaven station? Woodhaven station is on Atlantic Ave at Woodhaven Blvd.
  by krispy

Folks that worked there (opr, sig and track) would rarely use that staircase, and it wasn't until the past 6-7 years that there was even a bodega nearby. I tried unsuccessfully to have pizza delivered there, but no one would try, best I could get was near the factory across the tracks. An interesting opr had a fishpond and garden once at the base of the tower and tried to keep koi there. She was ticked off because they were slowly disappearing at one point. I worked an overnight there with the windows open, probably wishing there was somewhere nearby I could get a bite to eat, when I heard splashing down below. The biggest rat I've seen in the longest time was fishing. I went down to stomp its head (equipped with my army boots, suitable for work and slamdancing) and stopped when I saw how big this thing was. I finally found some track tools lying in the gauge in the tunnel and went back to finish the job. It was as fast as it was big and after evading my attack zoomed down those stairs. I couldn't believe it fit it's head through the gap beneath the gate/door but it did. I grabbed a brick and waited, and sure enough it was back within the hour. I just missed it and it went back down the hole. I told Signal and the morning guy put out an industrial sized rat trap and tied it down with TC Green, thick wire that oozed cancerous oil that the fellas were replacing out of the machine. Next night trap was missing, wire gnawed off and so was another fish. Next chance I got to work a third there I was waiting for him, but he was gone since the fish were moved out.

I had been intrigued by that staircase and the one that had been in Platform C in Jamaica (middle platform West end, boarded up and sealed) which I figured was left over from the RR's effort to get the local service back in the day. Great pics, Steve and Crabman! Steve's pic shows semaphores at the top of the Hump at Jay, and looks like they had a MU laid up on 1 Atlantic, common in the pre-Westside days.
  by northpit

If you would have asked the hostler or switchtender .I or He would have been happy to get something delivered and walk it up to you,gotta stop listening to training about how special you operators are and dont be afraid to socialize with us T&E people :-D
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Bottom of the stairs at Dunton
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Bottom of the stairs at Dunton
  by 452 Card

I think this was covered once awhile ago, but its always great to help someone who cares about the details to find them out.
Oh, and the water bottles are from Dunton Tower. Apparently the water provider has a key to the lock on the gate to retrieve the spent bottles. It must be fun to make a "basket" if one tosses the bottle into the stairway from the tower window successfully!
  by interface76

Actually, while this post was pending, I ended up doing a little back-tracking:

Most streets in Queens of course had names prior to numbers. I ended up finding out that 130th was called Maure Ave. A few Google searches later, I was able to re-connect to Arrts Archives after a hit on "Maure Ave underpass Queens":

http://www.arrts-arrchives.com/DUNTON2.html

Some great shots of the station, plus construction of the station itself and the 130th (Maure) tunnel. Here is the entrance at 130th/Atlantic Aves I was referring to:
http://www.arrts-arrchives.com/images3/ ... 8aPSrS.jpg

So yes, the staircases were originally for the Dunton elevated station. As explained above by some of our fellow members, after it's closing the staircases had a few other uses over the years (before becoming trash heaps).