• LIRR Union Negotiations/Newsday Editorial

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by DutchRailnut

northpit wrote:Aside from nyar people, If you are willing to work during a strike,What does a picket line matter? I don't foresee trainmen with baseball bats threatining.Nothing is a secret on the railroad and everyone will know who worked whether you snuck into grand central or crossed a picket line in Jamaica
its not if it were a secret if you worked during a strike, but the union can fine you substantial amounts, including suing you for that fine.
and the law provides for that, so no baseball bats necessary...
  by DutchRailnut

Well that's why you strike, to make it felt not to be going unnoticed...
  by Marge s

Does the MTA think they can win ? The only way the unions will budge is if the strike lasts four to six weeks. My opinion is they (MTA) can't last that long. Arrogance and stupidity are i dangerous mix.
  by Commuter X

If there is a strike, there will be no winners. Everyone will lose
  by rdl1972

Even more sad when you consider this whole affair has become nothing more than a good old fashioned dick measuring contest. We are forced on strike so Governor Cuomo can keep up political appearances and national viability. We are returned to work by the House of Representatives after three days under the terms of the PEB , what is gained? Sorry for the crude analogy , just way I see it.
  by DutchRailnut

and meanwhile a 3 day strike will cost NYC and NYS about 100 million per day in economic damage.
  by rdl1972

Dutch ,
Even more hysterical , the contract is probably worth somewhere between 250-300 million over the six years of the deal. So governor Cuomo is prepared to loose an amount of money in 2-3 days that is equivalent In cost to this six year labor deal for shear political vanity ? I believe the Greeks had a word for it , Hubris .
  by Slippy

Commuter X wrote:MTA to LIRR Commuters -- Stay Home

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/LI ... 34961.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well this has the beginnings of a clusterf**K

27 days to go

Comm X - A recycled game plan for when there are 2 inches of snow or rain fall of 1/2 inch. Or in this case, possible strike. Easier to just shut the place down.

Newsday is doing a damn fine job at promoting court of public opinion, seems that 95% of the comments are alluding the fact the public is with the MTA on this one. The middle class are at each others throats. I find it funny the moderators at Newsday will allow people to believe this potential strike is illegal often times calling for the government to enact a play out of Reagan's' playbook when he fired the air traffic controllers back in the early 80's, yet when someone elaborates upon the RLA, it's often times removed.
  by Commuter X

rdl1972 wrote:Even more sad when you consider this whole affair has become nothing more than a good old fashioned dick measuring contest. We are forced on strike so Governor Cuomo can keep up political appearances and national viability. We are returned to work by the House of Representatives after three days under the terms of the PEB , what is gained? Sorry for the crude analogy , just way I see it.
Every NY'er has a choice the first Tuesday this November

If you are happy with Junior's performance, you can vote to give him another 4 years in Albany. If not, you have the opportunity to replace him with someone else

Sadly, most folks do not exercise this right and the incumbent usually wins
  by Commuter X

Slippy wrote:
Commuter X wrote:MTA to LIRR Commuters -- Stay Home

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/LI ... 34961.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well this has the beginnings of a clusterf**K

27 days to go

Comm X - A recycled game plan for when there are 2 inches of snow or rain fall of 1/2 inch. Or in this case, possible strike. Easier to just shut the place down.

Newsday is doing a damn fine job at promoting court of public opinion, seems that 95% of the comments are alluding the fact the public is with the MTA on this one. The middle class are at each others throats. I find it funny the moderators at Newsday will allow people to believe this potential strike is illegal often times calling for the government to enact a play out of Reagan's' playbook when he fired the air traffic controllers back in the early 80's, yet when someone elaborates upon the RLA, it's often times removed.
Does anyone still read Newsday, or care what their moderators think?

26 days to go
  by BobLI

I refuse to line the bird cage with the paper(Newsday).. I dont want to subject the birds to garbage reporting. :-D :-D
  by DutchRailnut

not even close!! 17% over 6 years is what PEB recommends, yet MTA wants same percentage over a 7 year deal which equates to about 14%, then minus 2.25% for medical, plus they want other sneaky shit, not gone be deal.
no light at end of tunnel pal.
  by rdl1972

One nit pick Dutch , from what I've heard current employees are paying into medical @ 2% . New hires will be 4%. 17-2 = 15 over 7 years or just slightly more than 2% annualy. Time to walk unless Andy and Tommy start getting some true religion when it comes to contracts 101.