• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by gregorygrice

Would these be on the unit trash trains (Q704/Q701, K284) or on the manifests?
  by ccutler

Supposedly a new trash shipping customer, I don't know if these cars would be for unit train service or mixed freight. So far the trash containers are arriving in mixed freight cars, I am guessing directly from the factory.

There is plenty of transloading into highway trash trailers going on near Hunt's Point market. Getting a bigger share of that business is probably what's happening.
  by AlKaLI

CSXT SB to Fresh Pond crossing over the LIRR main at 7:02 AM. Caught the tail end of the train. At least 10+ 50 ft Plate C boxcars at the end.
  by gregorygrice

CSX B750 clear to head south down Hudson Line Track 1 from CP35. Train will be heading to Oak Point tonight.

+GP38-2 (Boxcar logo)
+GP38-2
-20 to 26 box cars
  by gregorygrice

CSX Hudson Division Update

-CSX Q431 heading NORTH up the Hudson Line lite after being denied by Metro North as of 0228hrs with SD60M & SD40-2. Q431 came south to Croton West Yard and was told to drop their loads in the yard and head back to Selkirk. Either B749 will take the loads down later this morning or will be taken later tonight by B750.

-All southbound Hudson Division freight is not allowed to pass Croton West Yard and northbound freight is not allowed past the Oak Point Connection until further assessment of the Yonkers area by Metro North...
  by ccutler

What is the problem with the Yonkers area for freight?

I went by Oak Point Yard this evening on my bike and it seemed fuller than usual of outbound refuse.

I also caught a switcher running down to service the Daily News, and took a few photos:
2014-05-01 18.21.51.jpg
2014-05-01 18.36.04.jpg
Sorry the evening light [6:20 to 6:40] cast long shadows
  by gregorygrice

There was a mudslide yesterday which caused Metro North to suspend CSX from running on the lower Hudson Line.

CSX B750 is almost complete with yard work. The train will head down to Oak Point tonight with Q431(30)'s loads if Metro North permits with the following consist;

+CSX 2793 (GP38-2)
+CSX 2804 (GP38-2)
+CSX 8851 (SD40-2)
+CSX 8839 (SD40-2)
-40 to 50 cars of Manifest

CSX Q704(30) & Q430(30) are still staged at Oak Point ready to head north once Metro North gives the permission.
  by gregorygrice

After waiting for 3 hours CSX B750 is finally being given a Form M to run down the Hudson Line to Oak Point. Instead of "B750" the train is being ran as "CSX Extra 2793". Train will depart from CP35 momentarily.
  by DogBert

The delays resulted in very long inbound and outbound runs to fresh pond today, also running a bit later than usual (went in around 9 and left around 1130
  by NYCS

Although I have no evidence - and this is just an educated hunch - my assumption is that Oak Point's new trash customer is somehow related to the exporting of expired/rotten perishables at Hunt's Point Market. I recall reading a report from the NYCEDC several years ago regarding the renovation of Hunt's Point (even mentioning the $10M grant for track upgrades) and somewhere in the report it was mentioned that food spoilage would be exported by rail using MSW containers. Of course, this may or not be what was alluded to.
  by DogBert

P&W inbound just now - 1 GE & 1 SD leading maybe 30 cars, tops.
  by Uncle Cheapo

Rumor has it PW will run 2 Sd 60s and 2 Sd 40s on tonight's CHFP. First time down to Pond for the 40s.
  by gregorygrice

Uncle Cheapo wrote:Rumor has it PW will run 2 Sd 60s and 2 Sd 40s on tonight's CHFP. First time down to Pond for the 40s.
I thought MNR banned SD40s from the New Haven Line due to weight or something?
  by DogBert

P&W has SD40-2s?

Last rumor I heard was they were getting more GEs.
  by DogBert

P&W going north. 3GEs up front, 2sd60s on the rear (elephant style).