• Better Penn Station

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by hi55us

Thomas wrote:From today's WSJ regarding improving Penn Station...

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... reno64-wsj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I read this today, it really makes you realize how much money the city/state/Amtrak is leaving on the table from the rents on retail space in the new NY Penn (the article states it's 1.5 million sq feet). It could be a huge motivator to get a deal done. The article states:
In 2010, the state was able to get a smaller, initial phase off the ground when it approved $267 million for the project, which includes infrastructure work and two new entrances to rail platforms, and is scheduled to be completed in 2016. But much of that work is underground and has little visible impact on riders' experience.
I forgot, what does this work entail?
  by bleet

hi55us wrote:
Thomas wrote:From today's WSJ regarding improving Penn Station...

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... reno64-wsj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I read this today, it really makes you realize how much money the city/state/Amtrak is leaving on the table from the rents on retail space in the new NY Penn (the article states it's 1.5 million sq feet). It could be a huge motivator to get a deal done. The article states:
In 2010, the state was able to get a smaller, initial phase off the ground when it approved $267 million for the project, which includes infrastructure work and two new entrances to rail platforms, and is scheduled to be completed in 2016. But much of that work is underground and has little visible impact on riders' experience.
I forgot, what does this work entail?
They are expanding the West End Concourse -- which now just serves LIRR tracks down to tracks 5 & 6 I believe and adding two exterior entrances on either side of the post office at ground level. Really not much of an improvement since it doesn't extend all the way to tracks 1-4.
  by 35dtmrs92

That concourse, currently, only goes down to 13/14--you're right about it serving only LIRR. When the expansion is complete, it is to extend to Tk. 5/6, from what I've read. It won't bring about a grand transformation of the space, but it will introduce badly needed new circulation space, allowing fairly direct access from NJT as well as LIRR trains on 17 of 21 tracks to the 8th Avenue IND. Also, with the new Farley entrances, you will be able to come to street level on the opposite side of 8th Avenue, which helps your case if you're connecting at PABT and don't care to waste a subway fare (i. e. penny-pinching college student).
  by Greg Moore

BTW, we already have a thread on this topic. We may want to consolidate there.

That said, I still think this is gilding the lily. There's in my opinion better things for this money to be spent on.

But, sometimes I guess you've got to take what you can get.
  by 25Hz

The phase two plan isn't happening, instead we are getting penn station south & gateway.
  by Thomas

25Hz wrote:The phase two plan isn't happening, instead we are getting penn station south & gateway.
Says who?!
  by Jeff Smith

Catching up on some of the topics/threads I like. Anyway, I'd agree I'd spend the money on a new tunnel, increased platform capacity, etc., and increased throughput. Electrify the Empire connection. Give Amtrak better equipment to use it. Run an Empire Connection train out to Ronk. Run M7's to Tarrytown. Get MNRR some LIRR style bi-levels and ALP 46's. Pool maintenance resources. One universal EMU fleet (excepting the NH line, which could still run on LI and on catenary).
Noel Weaver wrote:I would leave Madison Square Garden just where it is and I would leave Penn Station more or less the way it is at present. Big bucks would be far better spent on the infrastructure; ie track, signals, power, wires, bridges, tunnels etc, you get the point. What's the sense of having a palace for a station when the physical plant is literally falling apart? I know this is not what most of you want to hear but believe me, it is far more important.
Noel Weaver
  by Thomas

A better Penn Station is truly needed!

Remember, a Block 780 Expansion would truly make Penn Station "Better" than it currently is. I just am so curious to find out how Block 780 will get built.