• NYC Towers in Syracuse (Photos?)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by frankgaron2

Hi All:

In going through some of my older NYC employee timetables, I realized that I've never seen photos of the following towers:

Original alignment:

Salina (was there an actual tower/signal station here at one point?)
Signal Station 48 (original)
BS 1, West Street (telegraph call AV)
BS 1-A, Geddes St (telegraph call BL?)
BS 2, Syracuse Junction (telegraph call OJ)
BS 3, Belle Isle (telegraph call OY)

Elevated alignment/1936/using former West Shore alignment:

SS 1 (this should have been right at the new station?)
SS2 (Syracuse Junction, was this a rebuilt or new tower/signal station after the 1936 realignment?

Any photos/tips on where to find photos/info/etc greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Frank
  by lvrr325

SJ for the post elevation era shouldn't be too hard to come by, it lasted into Conrail and was used for a time as a call point for local jobs I believe. At least I recall an engineer saying something about it. The foundation is still there, or was prior to the new signal project.

IIRC it was brick and sat just north of the middle of current CP-293.
  by RSD15

SX tower Salina was the crossing of the east/west NYC freight line and the north/south RW&O in later years NYC controlled the jct. from "JG".
West St not sure on this, I believe it was tower 1 when the tracks were in the streets,later the office moved to the new station and the new tower became #1 with the call
"AV". Old #1 became #99. The new tower is still there on top of the old station.
Geddes st was "GS" that office also moved to East Syracuse and controlled track from mp278to mp296 until Conrail days.

SS2 was "OJ" and Syracuse jct. "SJ" later Conrail days served as a yard office for Solvay ,Geddes st, and Salina yards.
Charles
  by scharnhorst

There are photos of BS 3, Belle Isle (telegraph call OY) in Herb Trice collection I have seen them the photos were taken in the 70's or 80's and had a lot of Conrail power in the photos.
  by frankgaron2

Thanks all - very helpful indeed!

Frank
  by frankgaron2

Wow - so SS 1 at the new NYC station is still standing? How did I miss that one!

I've attached a photo of what I believe to be the tower - can one of you guys kindly confirm that?

Time for a road trip to Syracuse!

Thanks,

Frank
  by RSD15

Yes that's it. At Utica SS30 "UA" still stands if your coming from that way.
Charles
  by frankgaron2

Thanks for that. I don't know how I missed getting a picture of these one. I guess I never drove past on the highway side and noticed it.

Speaking of the tower, it looks tough to get a good picture of, unless I stop on the entrance ramp real quick? Or do I climb up the embankment
on the north side of the highway and hope to find a clearing? Anybody know?

I'm surprised the one in Utica is still standing. Got a shot of that one awhile back.

Thanks!

Frank
  by scharnhorst

frankgaron2 wrote:Thanks for that. I don't know how I missed getting a picture of these one. I guess I never drove past on the highway side and noticed it.

Speaking of the tower, it looks tough to get a good picture of, unless I stop on the entrance ramp real quick? Or do I climb up the embankment
on the north side of the highway and hope to find a clearing? Anybody know?

I'm surprised the one in Utica is still standing. Got a shot of that one awhile back.

Thanks!

Frank
There's not much room to pull off to the side of the road in that area I think as it's all bridges there the traffic dose slow from 55 to 50mph in that stretch of highway.